SWG too high after slamming! Help

bkkari

Aug 21, 2014
Central, MN
Hello, we've just completed slamming our pool for the last week for an algae bloom. During this process we had had our SWG turned off ( so we could accurately check our OCLT). We left the SWG off during the day time as well while we added liquid chlorine. Now since the chlorine level are drifting down to around 10ppm, I turned on the SWG and its stating our SWG is at 4500 ppm. Yikes! It's never been this high before. Could this be a result of adding liquid chlorine? Or could this be inaccurate? I understand if our levels really are this high, this could damage our vinyl liner. What should we do? Please help, and fast. I dont want to cause any damage.

( we have a 37000 gal inground pool, vinyl liner, jandy pool equipment).

Thanks

Having too much salt is not going to damage your liner. Having too high of a chlorine level will. The problem is your SWCG may not function when it thinks the salt level is that high. Do you have a way to check the salt level such as test strips or the Taylor K1766 Salt test kit? You may want to try and reset the breaker in your Jandy control center that powers the control center and the cell. Check the salt level after you do this. I believe my Aqaupure will only work between 3000 and 3500 ppm of salt. It sometimes wanders a bit but always seems to get back to the correct reading. What was the salt level before you started slamming?

Do you have another way to verify the salt level of the pool other than what the SWG says? The Aquapure will work in a wide range of salt level, not just 3000-3500 level, as that is the recommended range. I believe it will produce chlorine if the salt level is 2000-4000+. If the SWG will not produce chlorine with your current salt level most likely you will need to drain some water off. I would get the salt level verified before I would drain any water though.

I have noticed that my SWG reads a little higher than normal when I add liquid chlorine, then it settles back down after a day. The output might be averaging the reading for a while and it thought it was high when the boost of liquid chlorine was making it past the sensor.

Ok. I also used salt test strips and that also stated salt at 4200ppm.

Here's a dumb question (forgive me, as I'm still trying to understand how this SWG system works):
we had our SWG off for 1 week while we were shocking/slamming the pool. When turning it back on, it showed the levels as being elevated (as stated above 4000-4500). If I turn my SWG back on to say like 20%, that will convert to chlorine. Will that help "burn off" some of the salt? (since it's being converted to chlorine?). Or am I best to leave the SWG off, and drain part of the pool?

So does that mean, that all the liquid chlorine we put in the pool last week to "slam/shock" the pool is now being converted back to salt?...So then, really I probably need to drain some of the pool, correct?.... Our pool is 20x44 (approx 37000 gals), any quess on how far I should drain down if need be?

Adding bleach does add a little salt to the pool, but not any significant amount. Go to the bottom of PoolMath and you can determine how much salt it added by plugging in how much bleach you added.

Bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite (NaClO).

Great. Thank you.
Ok, another question:
So if my Salt level shows to be 4000ppm, and I turn my SWG from 0% to 20%, will it affect my Salt level? (will my salt level go up, or since it's being converted to chlorine, will it go down a little)? (Again I apologize if my questions seem elementary. I'm trying to understand the concept of the SWG and how it all works).
My understanding is that the only way to get rid of salt in the pool is when water is taken out of the pool via being splashed out or drained out. Is that right?

The bigger question is if your swg is still generating chlorine then you're probably ok. My cell was saying my Salt level was 6200 and it was still generating. (It's supposed to stop at 5500). The cell has been replaced, and now it shows a a more respectable 3900.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So at some point you overshot the salt number. What did your SWG say before the slam? Mine is horribly inaccurate but like mentioned. As long as it is in range to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.