Calculating FC from SWG output

TreeFiter

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jul 2, 2012
Saugerties, NY
So I've been wondering just how much FC is produced by a typical SWG. I was able to find out that one of the SWGs we typically use produces 36 grams/hr. So if I convert that to ounces, I get about 1.3oz. If I plug this into the pool calculator, it says it equates to about 0.4 ppm FC. All of this is based on a 24,000 gallon pool (what I would consider "average" size) with CYA between 50 and 80 ppm. I'm assuming that 36 grams/hr is the maximum output. This seems kind of low. If a pool runs 12 hours/day, it would only generate 4.8 ppm FC in a day. Most of my pools run at 50% or less. So that would mean only 2.4 ppm FC is added in a day. So in order for these pools to maintain FC levels, they must only be losing 2.4 ppm or less.

Is my math wrong, or do pools really only lose about 2 ppm FC in a day?

my cell is 25 grams per hour at 100% in 13,000 gallon pool
2 hours at 100% equals 1ppm free chlorine for me
1 run 8 hours at 100% in the middle of summer
equals 4 ppm that is with lots of use and unfortunately the dog gets in to
on your equation i would suggest the cell is too small for the pool

I suppose I could test this out using the same principle behind the OCLT. Once the sun goes down, there should be no FC loss, so if I were to run the SWG overnight, I could find out how much the FC increased overnight, then divide it by how many hours it ran for to get the rate of FC/hr. Now I just need to figure out what pool I can try this on.

- - - Updated - - -

Your math sounds correct. My t15 puts out 1.4 lbs per day.

A properly clean pool should normally only lose 2-4ppm each day.

Did you mean to say 1.4 oz?

My circupool is rated at 2lbs which I've found to be pretty accurate I've developed a excel spreadsheet to determine approximately how much FC will be generated for 1-100 percent based on number of hours running time. Anyone interested in getting a copy of it just pm me with your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Hmmm...lbs/day makes sense, but the brochure for the Compupool Infinity series gave it as grams/hr. 36 grams/hr is a little over an ounce in 12 hrs, so it would be somewhere between 2 and 3 oz in a day. The brochure says the system is rated for something like up to 150,000 gallons. Maybe its a typo. I did find where the old systems were rated in lbs. The old systems we put on most of our pools, which typically range from 22,000 to 50,000 gallons are rated at 2.5lb.

Since 24,000 gallons is 90,850 liters, then (36 g/hr) * (1000 mg/g) / (90,850 liters) = 0.4 g/hr (ppm FC per hour) as you had calculated. Over an 8-hour day that's 3.2 ppm FC. In 150,000 gallons that would only be 0.5 ppm FC over 8 hours so too undersized during the day. They may be figuring running 24 hours for 1.5 ppm FC but that's still pretty slim and unlikely to keep up.

Since 24,000 gallons is 90,850 liters, then (36 g/hr) * (1000 mg/g) / (90,850 liters) = 0.4 g/hr (ppm FC per hour) as you had calculated. Over an 8-hour day that's 3.2 ppm FC. In 150,000 gallons that would only be 0.5 ppm FC over 8 hours so too undersized during the day. They may be figuring running 24 hours for 1.5 ppm FC but that's still pretty slim and unlikely to keep up.

I went back and looked at the brochure, and I realized its all in metric. It kind of makes sense that if they are giving grams/hr the volume would be in Liters. So it was 150,000 liters, which is somewhere around 40,000 gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Over 8 hours that would be 1.33 ppm FC and no that is not normally sufficient. The ratings that the SWG manufacturers give are barely on the edge and really would only be possible if one were using supplemental algaecide or phosphate removers. This is why we suggest oversizing the SWG by a factor of 2-3. It's also more economical since the price is not proportional to SWG output, at least for the residential units. So the IC60 would be more appropriate for a pool up to 30000 gallons and would be economical for a 20000 gallon pool since the cell will last longer compared to a unit rated for up to 40000 gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.