Should I replace my filter next year?

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I have a Hayward DE-3620 filter (came with the house 4 years ago) which I have never cleaned as it is my understanding that they don't make the D-ring necessary to seal it properly. I backwash as thorough as I can when I close the pool and I don't have any issues with it. I'm going to replace my heater next year, should I also replace the filter? If so, what model? I am happy with a DE filter, so I would prefer to stay with DE.

I am not following your logic. Why can't you open up the filter and follow the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial?

My filter is over 5 years old with an o-ring and I open it up a few times a year and never have a problem with it sealing.

There was a redesign at some point for the clamp and seal (the last link Mark posted mentions a metal reinforced seal), I am pretty sure I have the older clamp and seal (shown in the tutorial). If you put the clamp on correctly as I describe in the tutorial, then there should be no problem.

The filter in the link is not my filter, this is my filter: http://www.poolcenter.com/p/micro-clear-stainless-steel
it looks like mine is a DE-3620 microclear and the other is a Pro-grid. Did Hayward manufacture two models with the same model #?

parts 7 and 8 say NLA, No Longer Available.

There was also a sticky thread, which I can't find now, which documented how hayward stopped making this part and it was expected, by them, for the customer to go ahead and get a new filter.

But there are some retailers that still seem them. Are you saying those are no good and leak? Seems like almost any o-ring that fit could be made to work. A little pool lube can usually seal almost any o-ring. Have you experienced this problem directly? Or is this just hear-say?

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352023054.htm

Considering that:
1. a new O-ring can be purchased for about $10. (aftermarket replacement part, OEM not avail)
2. a clamp assembly is less than $100 if you need that.
3. virtually all other replacement parts are the same as and interchangeable with the newer filters.
4. your stainless steel filter tank will last forever and is far superior to all the current plastic ones
I would keep that filter as long as possible.

I had had one like it on my previous pool, it was 35 years old and functioned perfectly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just Google the part numbers, (DEX360J for the clamp and DEX360K for the O-ring) and you will find several sources for each. The clamp seems to run right around $100 and the O-ring being and after-market part has prices all over the map, with many being under $10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.