Easy for water to get into new motor (tripping GFCI).

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I don't have the exact model numbers. But my old A.O. Smith motor was the one with a black plastic cap on the bottom of it. I would pull the cover to clean out the strainer basket. Water would get on the motor etc. The motor would start up with no problem. The new motor seems to be very sensitive to water. So sensitive that if so much as a drop gets somewhere into the motor it's tripping the GFCI continually. I try to be very careful in cleaning the basket. It esp happens after a hard rain.

I found if I take some WD-40 and shoot ample amounts of it into the motor vents and turn the motor on it works great, until the next rainstorm etc... The GFCI is new and was replaced because the new motor kept tripping the GFCI so much it blew it up. I found another way around this was to plug to motor into a non-gfci outlet for a few seconds then plug it into a gfci...

Anybody know how to deal with this??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.