My Pool Diagram and Depths.. Input!

I have been reading a lot on pool depths and i have 3 kids all under 5 Years of age. We are going with a 18x36 Pool With an Automatic cover. We also wil be having 18' vinyl liner steps walking in to the shallow end and for the first 20' the depth will be 40" the sloped to the "deep end" of only 64" (5'4") what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 1.50.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 1.50.15 PM.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 214
Depth may be covered in some building codes. Swimming pool regulation varies considerably acroos the country to its dificult to be absloute on any swimmingpool code issue.

As to your question.

All pools are compromises. They are long term investments. Your children will grow older (mine did anyway) and you will use the pool differently as they age. Do you want a pool where six 13 yr olds can play volleyball? Or one where they can do cannonballs and dive? For most homeowners those are two different pools.

I would think about the pool you are going to want in the years when your kids are between 5 and 15 and design for that.

Oh Welcome to the forum. And when you do build post pictures!!!!!

Agreed, you should plan for the 5 and up part. The kids will be under 5 a lot less than they will be over 5, not to mention the adults. 40" is pretty shallow. Get a tape measure and see where that ends up on everyone. I don't know if vinyl pools can be sloped more, but I would want to start at 40 and slope to 48 in the first 6 or 8 feet and then keep going to the 64". We don't spend any time in the 40" deep part of our pool, it is mostly the 4' to 5' parts where we play and hang out.

We have a 16x36 play pool 3.5 ft at one end, 4 ft at the other end, and 5 ft in the middle. We also have a 7x7x18 inch deep sun shelf. We are very happy with the depth and layout. About the only change I would consider (if I had it to do over) might be 4 ft at both ends.

Our pool is 30' long, but narrow. It's 3.5' at one end and 6.5' at the other. My kids are 4 and 7. My 4 year old doesn't mind the depth one bit. She swims and grabs on the side if she is tired.

Very happy that we have at least 6.5' deep. Would have liked deeper, but the shape meant that wouldn't have had any shallow end and too much slope. See build in my sig.

I have a 20X40 grecian vinyl pool. Shallow end is just above waist high. Maybe 3.5'. I'm not 100% sure. Deep end is 8.5' with a diving board. The shallow end takes up 45% of the pool, then slopes to the deep end. We moved into our house exactly two months ago. We have three kids, 7-1/2, 4-1/2, and 2-1/2. None of them were competent swimmers when we moved in. They had played in pools, but hadn't really learned to swim. It took three weeks for the oldest to come out of the life jacket. She started jumping off the side of the pool going a little closer to the deep end each time. She went from shallow end jumps to the diving board in about two hours. Little sister(middle child) wanted to be like big sister, so she worked her way around. Little brother was not going to be left out. He worked his way around too. Now, he is the only one required to wear a flotation device. They all swim all over the pool. There is no telling how many times they jump off the diving board every day. Definitely plan for the future because they will progress quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.