What is my shock level supposed to be?

Jul 10, 2007
Ohio
My pool has been sparkling clear all summer, I have been just tweaking my Autopilot setting keeping between 3-5 FC levels, and all has been well. 5 days ago it got cloudy, I shocked it (15) but didn't keep it there though, and today it is still cloudy. I thought my shock level was 15, but am I using the Pool Calculator right? It is saying 23 is my shock level? Here are my numbers:

FC - 3.5
TC - 3.5
PH - 7.6ish
TA - 100
CYA - not sure, out of reagent, it was 60 on 8/2 and I added about 2 lbs of CYA
Temp 86

It may have started to get cloudy when I added the CYA... not positive though.

So is it really 23? If so, I will get it up there and get this thing cleaned up!

Thanks, Chuck

Hi Chuck1971
I am new here, and I am reading through this and I mean no direspect, I am trying to learn so I can understand for my own sake. My question is why would you add CYA if your level was 60? What am I missing? :?:

by the way-1971 was a great year!

kidsluv2swim said:
Hi Chuck1971
I am new here, and I am reading through this and I mean no direspect, I am trying to learn so I can understand for my own sake. My question is why would you add CYA if your level was 60? What am I missing? :?:

by the way-1971 was a great year!

Recommended CYA levels for a SWCG is 60-80 ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.