Questions about solution to MiniMax Problem with Ignitors

Jul 17, 2009
Numerous posts about problems with the Pentair Minimax, prone to malfunction. One of the known issues is that the unit can keep busting ignitors. On my unit, every two months the ignitor element would crack apart and would have to spend another 75 bucks to get a new one.

Here is the genesis of the problem. The insulation panels that line sides of the firebox (underneath the heat exchanger) is prone to breakdown, with small particles of it breaking off and landing on the ignitor. Anything that touches the ignitor element will results in breakage. This is a bad design, but it is what it is.

Putting a small metal "cover" over the ignitor does help some (ignitor lasts 6 months instead), but the real solution would be to replace or repair the insulation panels. But they are not listed in the parts diagram for the unit, and it certainly is not worth it to purchase a new firebox. I don't know where to purchase this stuff--it is like a very tough styrofoam, about 3/4 of an inch thick.

I am thinking about painting over these panels with the heatproof paint used for barbeques. Maybe then the ignitors would not be damaged and need to be replaced.

Finally, some of you are going to say, "buy a new heater". Can't afford that right now...

Do NOT paint the refractory (white stuff that looks like styrofoam). It is not meant to be painted. It's not listed as a part because usually when it starts falling to pieces it done for and then usually also the heater is shot and needs to be replaced and it's not usually a part the manufacturer wants the average homeowner to mess with. Call Pentair and ask them if they have the part or if it's even available. However, do to the age of this unit, not sure if you have the NT or the even older model, I doubt they would have it.

I purchased this new 7 years ago. The heater otherwise works well when the ignitors are not failing. Hard to believe that it is time to purchase a new heater because the insulation is falling apart.

They don't make them like they use to. I can walk up to a heater that's 12 years old and it's still in great shape. Then I can walk up to a 3 year old heater and it's shot. Plenty of factors involved with how long they last. The biggest thing I see with the Minimax NT's is that water gets down into the blower area and it rots out the squirrel cage and then the hood. The best way to solve this from happening in 99% of the cases is to install a section of gutter so the rain water doesn't hit directly onto the heater prematurely rusting it out.

Heater manufacturers have quoted me the life of a heater to be 7-10 years but again there are many factors to this life.

Actually I found the part numbers from Pentair. Not easy to replace these in terms of taking apart the unit, but can be done. If I get a few more years out of this heater I will be happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.