Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas and chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas and chlorine

My buddy spilled some gas on his garage floor the other day and asked me if pouring bleach on it would help the smell (or blow up the garage) -- honestly, I don't know how gas and 12% chlorine would react - any thoughts?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas and chlorine

Hi Ted,

I'm sure you're looking for a chemist here, but, not :P

I'd open all doors, hose out the garage w/water, (use cat litter to absorb if necessary & sweep), and crank up the fans!

Clean up, wash out and get fresh air in there!

Remove anything that has gasoline on it, like carpeting or matts, to the outside and hose off and air out!

Just my .02
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ted,

Use dawn dishliquid soap and water. Water alone only is dispersed in gasoline. The vapors that are there can easily be removed with a lemon type of dawn dishliquid. I have used this method in carpets in the garage as well and that has worked well.

Then when its dry I use the arm & hammer animal deotorizer spray. Its made for our pets and helps with carpets ect in the house.

I also used white vinegar as well as that is another substance that we use to help neutralize animal accidents!

Any of the above should work. Start small and work your way up. If its just on the cement, then plain soap and water with a scrub brush should do the trick.

Hope that helps.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

4. Back To Top    #4

THANK YOU both!! There was no carpet involved and we put down some 'speed dry' to soak up the liquid and turned on a fan.

Even when it's not a pool issue, you guys are the BEST!!!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

You could have just lit a match. That would have taken care of it!