Hole in pool wall, rust comming out?! With Hi-Res pictures Need help

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
Hi guys! so i battled the black algae monster for several months, it just kept getting worse. with 2 young kids and full time jobs there just isnt enough time in the day. So i researched and decided to do a chlorine wash and acid wash. It was soo bad that i have to pressure wash the entire pool at close range to get all the algae off, its thick.its very tedious. i took some pics with my galaxy s4 so their pretty hi-res. here is a link to their folder in my dropbox account as they far exceed the boards size limit.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5v12izluvcrsnl6/AAC82giqjFLiTvID5VF6IgYWa?dl=0

Now to the question. there are several rust spots that i dont understand. i need to know what to do to them before the big refill. The plaster is in very bad condition, we got it this way when we purchased the house. Would love to have the whole thing redone plaster, tile decking. but its a huge expense and the money just isnt there so we live with it. Any input is greatly appreciated. If a mod feels this thread would work better in another spot go ahead and move it. Thanks all!

The preferred method is to chip out the rusting rebar and repair the gunite surface with some type of cement.

Then replaster.

Failure to do so may, and I mean may, cause the rebar to continue rusting throughout the pool.

I hate to say it but this is an important repair that you should do sooner rather than later. And you need to replaster.
Plaster is the protective coating that protects the gunite and steel structure of the pool. The plaster is the watertight membrane. If the rebar does not have 2 to 3 inches of gunite cover then the chances of rusting are increased.

This is a drain the pool repair.

I would call several pool builders or service people out get bids from them. But I would also question them closely, how would they do it and what they think of the cause. There is a guy called the pool dentist in San Diego call him and get a referral.

gwegan, thanks soo much for your reply! i was afraid it was something bad... Argg. We have been wanting to get the pool replastered since we bought the home 5 years ago. the shallow end looks like the surface of the moon. now that i pressure washed the whole thing to get rid of all the stubborn black and green algae the whole thing is white but the plaster is worst... its REALLY rough now :( I looked at paint to buy us some more time but that's hundreds of $$ too just for the paint. Yikes!! with the up and down in hours and having 2 little kids the money isnt there. even this drain and cleanup is a burndon and i'm doing all the labor.
I'll definalty drill the contractor i use in the future and make sure they do it right.
Thanks for your help again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.