Is this algae?

Jul 16, 2012
Hi, noticed some green in the pool. It's dusty green. I've had my solar cover on most of the summer. I've been in the pool religiously at least 4 times per week. See pic for green on ladder.

Advice?
1df27c1be3fddc31eb3cd8482deb0ea0.jpg

Can the ladder be removed? If so, I would recommend cleaning in your driveway with some bleach, a small soft brush or sponge, household bleach and water. Allow the bleach to sit and rinse off. This should do it.

If not, then clean manually with a little bleach and wipe off with old rags or towels, etc. This also could be moss if shaded a lot and maybe a small pressure washer with a 60 degree tip may work.

I am a newbie so hard to tell.

Fc=7.5
Cc=0.5
Tc=8.0
Cya=100

Guess that cya is too high.. I'm really want to hold off with until the spring to get cya down. Only a few more weeks of the season here.
sure looks like algae to me. Was it in the portion of the ladder above or below the water line? If only above it may be due to the dampness caused by the cover being on. If below you could have algae in the pool water itself.

First,I would up your FC. 7.5 is at low end if your CYA is truly 100, it could be higher. Do the dilution test, see the extended directions for how to do it.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

In the meantime I would raise your FC to the target CYA of 12, then correct once you have confirmed your CYA level.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

You should probably do an OCLT just to be safe

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

OK... I put 7 gallons of bleach in yesterday. Right now I'm brushing then vacuuming the pool. There was really only a few small green spots that didn't get cleaned yesterday, so nothing new is in the pool. The water is somewhat cloudy. I think I may have read my cya a little higher yesterday. Today I read it with the sun shining on me whereas yesterday it was somewhat cloudy.

This mornings numbers:
Fc=32.5 yikes
Cc=0
Tc=32.5
Ch=150
Cya=85ish

I ran out of the cya reagent after this reading so I have to order more.

I've decided to retire the solar cover for the remaining weeks. Looks like the warmest weather of the summer this week in NJ. I am hoping to get in the water maybe tomorrow. What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This happened to me after treating the pool. I did not have algae, but probably about a day away from an outbreak. My FC level was near "zero". The Pool Store kept recommending that my levels should be around 1 ppm with the mineralizer.

After I poured in bleach the water became cloudy. Vacuumed the pool floors and walls and ran the filter for a day or so. The water cleared up. Since then the frog is on empty and I am using 12.5% bleach (adding 16 ounces daily) and testing in a few days. The water has never looked so crystal clear. I thought the water was clear before, but not like this. I am keeping my levels based on CYA around 4-5 ppm. It is important to figure out how much FC you are loosing daily and then every day or every other day treat the pool. I personally am enjoying this and just figured out that I can probably save close to $500 per season here in NJ (short period) on chemicals that the pool store recommends. Good Luck.

Check reading this morning before going to work.

FC=17.5
cc=0.5
TC=18.0
PH = 7.8+

Should I hit it again tonight after work with bleach ? I haven't had a chance to do any other tests. I was in the pool yesterday and brushed it all over 2 times. The liner felt clean, no slime. Ladder is clean also. As of this afternoon, the filter will have been on for 48hrs straight. I really don't want to have to keep it running 24/7.

+1 on the CYA cure now as it would allow you to use less bleach for a proper SLAM to rid your pool of algae. IMHO it's better to put your pool to bed for the winter in the best shape you can rather than with it needing work first thing in spring when you open.

Yeah, I hear you on the CYA and draining 1/2 the pool. I would absolutely love to replace the water and I know it's the right thing to do , but, I have about 2 weeks of the season left and I just want to get through it w/o draining the pool (Honestly I do not have the time). Also, on that point ... will my liner wrinkle when I drain and refill ?

Could the high CYA level be making me lose about 15ppm each night over the past 2 nights? I was in the pool last night, no slime, no green and the water seems a little bit clearer.

Would backwashing my filter help ?

How do I manage to get through these next 2 weeks ?

If you are not seeing green then you need to keep a chlorine level of 10ppm for the next two weeks. If you see green you'll need to SLAM at a level of 35ppm to get rid of the "green" if you have a CYA level of 85.

CYA will not cause a loss of chlorine.

Backwashing should only be done when you are 20-25% over your clean pressure. If you backwash too often it's actually doing a poorer job of filtering. As the filter fills up and plugs up with stuff it will filter smaller and smaller particles so it's actually more efficient slightly dirty. See Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/144-maintenance-and-cleaning-of-pool-filters

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.