Shock application method

Etek14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
I have vinyl and have read feed shock in skimmer or predissolve and add, the shock I have(AquaChem "SHOCK") from WalMart says do not predissolve, apply in dry form thru skimmer or directly to pool and brush tilldissolved(not preferrable). Are there any advantages or disadvantages to each.

I have also been unsuccessful at reducing the CC in the pool, I normally use the BBB method and am conservative on the additions I make at one time but may not be adding enough bleach to do the shock level. I had FC=1, CC=1.5 and added 2 of the 96 ounce container which was probably not enough. The pool calc was a bit more. CYA was 0 but added some recently to bring it up

How are you testing your water? If you do not have a good test kit then you are missing an important (the MOST important) part of BBB. Please post a full set of test results.

I have the TF100, my test thus far are as follows:

CYA - 0
FC - 1
CC - 1.5
TA - 140
CH - 90
PH - 7.5

I put 2 jugs of 6% , 96 ounce. The pool calc says 271 ounces for shock at CYA - 0, I guess I missed it by about a jug.

CYA helps protect your chlorine from being burned off in the hot sun. With a CYA of "0" you might just as well be using water ! You need to bring your CYA up to a level of 30-50ppm and keep a MIN FC level of 4-6 ppm. Read up at "Pool School" (found in my signature) on how to clear up a green pool

I would start by adding 50 oz by weight of stabilizer. That should bring it up to approx 25ppm. To add stabilizer to the pool I would put it in a sock and throw it in your skimmer basket to let it dissolve and recheck in 4 days. Do not backwash your filter while doing this.

I would also start by adding 3 jugs of bleach to your water to get started on shocking your pool at 10ppm and after a day or so raise it to 12 ppm using the pool calculator located in my signature. You will nee to make a trip to the store to get LOTS MORE!

You will need to keep your pool at shock level until the following are met
1) You have a FC loss of less than 1ppm during the night.
2) Your CC is 0- 0.5ppm.
3) Your water is clear.

Your TA is slightly high but we can work on lowering that after your pool is clear.

Let your filter run 24/7 and brush often. You wont be able to back wash your filter for a week because of the CYA your adding to the pool.
Post some numbers in a day or so and let us know how your water looks.

TizMe said:
To add stabilizer to the pool I would put it in a sock and throw it in your skimmer basket to let it dissolve and recheck in 4 days. Do not backwash your filter while doing this.

Let your filter run 24/7 and brush often. You wont be able to back wash your filter for a week because of the CYA your adding to the pool.

With a sand filter, you can hang the sock in front of the return, and the CYA will dissolve from the sock. It will continue to dissolve in the water, even if you can't see the granules. There is no need to put a sock full of CYA into the skimmer, in fact that could cause suction problems.

For Pools with cartridge filters, the CYA can be poured directly into the skimmer, just take out the basket first. You can pour CYA thru the skimmer into a sand filter too, but that would likely cause your Sand Filter's PSI to increase and require backwashing, so that's why it's recommended to tie off the sock in front of the return.

Either way, the CYA takes time to dissolve, it can take up to a week to completely dissolve and register on tests. Cleaning a cartridge filter or backwashing a sand filter while the CYA is dissolving will cause you to lose the CYA you just added. So try not to clean or backwash for a full week. No need to retest the CYA for about a 5-6 days.

Thanks for all the answers. Forgot to mention about the CYA, kinda blows my mind too because I added several lbs of stabilizer when I first got the pool about 1 1/2 months ago but we have had alot of rain in NC lately and have had to drain. I assume my testing was correct on the TF100, seems simple enough but mixture remained clear and was able to see the black dot with the tube filled all the way. I recently added more stabilizer to the skimmer and threw a floater in with trichlor pucks to help raise the CYA. Also shocked last night with Aquachem "shock" from WM so I will post results after a few days to make sure my CYA is up but not out of hand. Would like to continue the BBB method after I get the CYA up to prevent levels getting too high.

I would take the pucks out of the water and not use them if it were me.If you calculated how much stabilizer to put in with Jasons Pool calculator and then put the pucks in my guess is your CYA is going to be to high.
Is Aquachem a granular shoch? If it is that will add CYA to your pool as well. I would just use good ol' chlorine bleach as your sanitizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.