Single or 2 speed pump??

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Working with PB now on equipment list on a new build. Pump will be a Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP or 1HP, depending on final agreed pool size. Looking like its going to be a 24x12 give or take with a max of 300 sq feet. I will have a Polaris 280 and booster pump as part of the package. There will be a SWCG, and heater (heat pump) as well. Depending on the how much is left in the budget, we would like to add a cascade or rock fountain. PB said it is my decision if I want the 1 or 2 speed pump, but feels that in this case a 1 speed may be fine. His thoughts are this. The Whisperflo 3/4 HP is very efficient pump. Not sure how efficient or non-efficient the 1 HP is compared to the 3/4 HP, but PB feels that we should be able to get away with the 3/4 HP. In the Boston area we pay a flat rate per KW ($.19) as opposed to some states which pay for peak or tiered pricing. Pool is small so turnover runtime is not very long. Our swim season is not year long so the ROI is longer here in New England. Again, the decision is mine, he was just throwing it out there.

Running a SWCG at a lower pump rate may have benefits, but I know running the heater, which may happen often here, will need a higher pump rate.

Would I see much greater benefits going with a 2 speed?

Why a boosted pressure side cleaner? Those are the least efficient since you have to run 2 pumps for the cleaner to work?

You definitely want a 2-speed pump ... you can run on low all the time for circulation and filtration. I would also suggest the Superflo line of pumps as they are smaller and cheaper to run as well. I would suggest the 2-speed 1HP Superflo. Although the size of your water feature could impact the required size of the pump.

Even with power that is not very expensive, a 2-speed is likely to save you at least 50% of the electricity to run it.

rmclain73 said:
Would I see much greater benefits going with a 2 speed?
Absolutely. Go with the 2-speed. The cost differential between a single-speed and 2-speed has narrowed considerably over the years. Even with a short swim season, you should achieve payback on the cost differential within one or, at most, two seasons. Plus, the 2-speed will give you some insurance against higher electric rates in the future.

When it's time to replace my current pump, I'm definitely going with a 2-speed.

I have to agree. A 2 speed will save on energy and at the same time lets you run the pump at low speed for a longer time, keeping everything circulating. If you have a sand filter, a slower flow rate will actually help to better filter the water since it goes slower through the filter.

Not to be ignored is the noise factor. I converted my 1hp (full-rated) WhisperFlo to 2-speed three years ago. It's only 15 feet from the pool behind a wood fence. It was quiet before, but now it's inaudible. I value my rural silence and I would get the 2-speed just for that.

Another thing to consider is if your local utility offers a rebate for an energy efficient pump. I live in Massachusetts and they sent me $200 when I built a pool because I used a variable speed pump. A 2 speed would have qualified as well. Check out MassSave.com. Between the rebate and the energy savings I probably paid for the pump in the 1 1/2 seasons I've had it.

Some other observations as well. Skip the booster and vac routine. Get a robot to clean the pool. They only use maybe 15 cents in electricity to clean the pool, do it by themselves and also clean through a finer filter than your pool uses. Mine is something like 5 microns. The pool is spotless and I don't have to work at it. Also, using a robot means no dirty pool filters which saves on backwashing or cartridge cleaning. This also keeps you from dumping out salt which you will need to replace after you lower the salt concentration by backwashing and refilling. Saves on stabilizer as well. Make sure you are getting all Pentair equipment too. That will automatically give you a 3 year warranty. Many PB's won't mention this but buying 3 pieces of equipment from the same manufacturer (pump, filter, heater, SWCG qualify) gets you that bump in coverage.

Just another confirmation for the 2-speed pump. Skip the Polaris and booster pump and get a robot instead for the above reasons. Make sure you check out those rebates, a VS pump might be worthwhile. I had to have at least a 2-speed installed due to CA law, but I wished I got a VS and robot. Believe me, not having to run the pool on high speed to vacuum it is the number one thing I would have changed with my original build.

I paid $850 for my Intelliflo VS pump and the utility gave me a $200 rebate so for $650 I bought a 3 HP pump that I barely run to keep the SWG working and the heater. It's a no brainer. Ironically, I used the rebate which comes in the form of a debit card to fill the tank of my boat. How green is that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I upgraded my pump to a 2 speed motor this year and it was a huge improvement over the single speed. Not only is our electrical usage down significantly but we can barely hear it run. I also contacted Hayward about running the heat with the pump on low speed and they said it was OK to do so. There is a pressure safety switch that needs to be adjusted for the heat to work on low speed.

The Robotic pool clearer is the only way to go in my opinion. If you can afford it be sure to a model with a remote control. Although the cleaner always cleans every square inch of the pool during the shortest 2 hour cycle there are times I throw it in and use the remote for a quick spot clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.