Hayward H250 heater not staying on

Jul 24, 2009
Toronto, Canada
hello

when called upon my heater turns on and runs for about 3 seconds and shuts off, I then try and restart it again and again and it shuts off, I will eventually get it going for about 5 or 6 seconds then again it shuts off, eventually it will stay on and work great until we no longer call for heat. the yellow service light goes on and off once every 10 seconds.

can anyone help me, the heater is 7 years old and otherwise runs great.

Thank you

Are you getting an IF error on the display? An IF code would indicate a bad ignitor which is also the flame sensor.

When you say the service light comes on, is this while the unit is lit and heating? If the service light comes on while heating and no code is showing on the display, this would indicate that the board behind the keypad is bad and needs to be replaced.

It is hooked up to a P4 system so the heater display always shows BP(bypass), when I have a lighting issue because of the wind for example it will show IF(ignition Failure) but now there is no code, just the yellow service light flashing every 10 seconds or so, when it finally starts running the green heat light will stay on and the yellow service light will stop flashing. Myself I thought maybe its a gas flow problem or another part that has worn in the 7 years I've had it as eventually it will run, but then when it reaches the desired temperature and it is off for a few hours I go through this problem all over again.

The heater is not smart enough to know anything about the gas or it's pressure. I would have to say what you have is a bad control board. However, you can't buy just the board, you have to buy a entire new assembly unless you find one on ebay. Then you have to hope that it works.

Error codes will always display regardless of it being in bypass mode.

Here is what you need, http://www.parts4heating.com/Hayward-HAXCPA1932-CONTROL-BEZEL-ASSY-ED2-p/haxcpa1932.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.