How many LED's to get

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
In the planning and ordering stages of new project. I am getting mixed answers from people and I though this would be the appropriate place to ask this question. How many LED lights to get, 1 or 2? Pool will be small kidney shape 24-26 feet long, and at its widest 14. I could do one LED in the deep end positioned straight across from the shallow end steps running the length of the pool, or put one in both the shallow and deep end on the sides. Would 1 be bright enough? It is my understanding that 1 LED should be able to light up to lengths of 30-32 feet?

I have two in my kidney. One under the diving board, one in the shallow end. Pool builder spec'd two lights, which I think was a good decision, but it probably depends on the light which is used.

If you have a light in mind, what does the manufacturer suggest? I believe my manual (long since thrown out) suggested two lights for a kidney, and specified the locations.

With light you also need to consider your surroundings. Such as street lights, landscape lighting, etc. We live in the middle of nowhere, we have one 200w 12 V incandescent light in a 12 x 30 IG pool and it is plenty. Light is on a short end and my stairs are on the short end and are lit up like the Vegas strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are going to get a lot opinions on lights. Two things most agree on:

1. LEDs are not as strong as incandescent.

2. Face the lights away from the house or main seating area.

I would go with two lights along the side of the pool -- one oriented towards shallow one deep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.