Overnight Loss Test - not SLAMing

FlyAU98

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I didn't end up doing my water test yesterday until after dark and knew I'd be up by sunrise this morning, so I thought I do an Overnight Loss Test just to see. Upon testing this morning, I had a loss of 1.5ppm (5.5 last night, 4 this morning).

I was not SLAMing the pool at the time, I just did the test because it was dark.

Water is Crystal Clear. Pool pump did not run during the night.

Last night's TF-100 test
pH=7.5
FC=5.5
CC=0
CH=275
TA=90
CYA Not Tested, but its in the 50-60 range (closer to 60), based off testing in the last couple weeks)
Water temp is in the low 90s.

Does the loss of 1.5ppm tell me anything? Do I need to SLAM/go to shock level?

I've got plenty of time to mess with it today...

I've posted on this subject matter before and there are many old threads about this but here it goes again -

The OCLT criterion were developed as a diagnostic set to be performed at shock chlorine levels. It is not something to be performed on a routine basis at normal Target FC levels because a positive result (chlorine loss of less than 1ppm) doesn't mean anything.

That being said you had a significant FC loss but no rise in CCs. You could be on the verge of something or, perhaps, some birds were bathing in your pool overnight (stranger creatures find their way into my pool every night!)

I would simply monitor your FC for a few days and make sure you can hold your water at Target FC levels with your usual amount of bleach additions or SWG % and no serious rise in CCs. As long as you don't dip below minimum FC, your water should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That says to turn off any pumps, etc. that distribute chlorine sources, not the filter pump. They always recommend your filter or circulation pump is running at least 30 minutes before any of the tests are performed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.