Intermatic Electro-Mechancial Timers - plug compatible?

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
This pool/spa was (as near as I can tell - no records on this foreclosure) built in the mid 80's
It has two Intermatic classic electro-mechanical timers; one feeds both the filtration pump and the second timer, which controls the booster.

As near as I can tell, these are dead - when I arrived only one set of trip arrows was present - I splurged and got new ones for the missing side (on or off, don't remember which)
Intermatic close-up.jpg

2Q's: can you see any missing parts? Are the red and green plastic clips appropriate to this model?
Would a new Intermatic of the same design (guessing this is a 100-series) be plug-compatible? Mainly, I'm concerned about fitting into the obviously specifically-designed cabinet. It obviously says: Put Intermatic timer here.

Have they changed the dimensions and/or mounting provisions in the last 30 years (yes, I do feel ancient - why do you ask? ;)

To answer the obvious: no, I don't know how these work aside for how to set them. Looking behind the wheel, it looks like there is a (now reduced to knob) device which the on/off tabs were to engage. I'm thinking they are worn past the ppoint they will engage the on/off arrows.
New Q: is that part field-replaceable for less than te cost of a new timer?

Another new Q: are there digital timers also plug-compatible (220v on both)?

Thanks again for your patience

The "arrows" are called timer trippers and there are two different types depending on the model number of the timer. Check to see if the yellow dial is turning when it has power. If it isn't, you can replace just the time mechanism if you're worked about mounting.

Technically, you are missing a flexible plastic cover that covers the terminals so you don't touch them accidentally when you use the manual lever.

Yes, the motor is running just fine - it's just that passing the "On" tripper does nothing.

I did find (after buying new ones) what appeared to be an original tripper - the dimensions and design were the same as the ones I had bought.

Unless the trippers are supposed to somehow engage an arm or or something under the dial, these are dead - I slipped the new ones over the edge of the wheel and tightened, same as the existing ones were installed.

I realize the intelligent thing to do is to simply tear out the box and install modern equipment, but re-plaster comes WAY ahead of unneeded equipment upgrades.

And I shouldn't be spending anything on the pool when the house is a total wreck, but that's me...

Does the off leg shut the system off? Unless someone has modified the clock in that the switch is not getting tripped when the timer trippers come around. Was this the part number for the trippers you purchased 156T1978A? Also are you sure you have them on the clock dial all the way and they aren't crooked on some way? No the red and green ones are for a different style of clock. Yours requires what you have.

The trippers do nothing other than trip a toggle to the on/off switch you see below the clock. But like I said, maybe the previous owner modified it or it broke and they never fixed it.

OK, I got brave, shut off the breakers and pulled them.

Yes, the levers do operate the switch.

Detail: T104 with notation "1 88" which I take as Jan 1988 (my guess was close).

I looked at what the lever does and found the rocker switches - very, very stiff rocker switches.

What is bizarre is that it can be mechanically tripped in only one direction - which does NOT bring up the opposite side of the rocker for activation by the trailing tripper.

Aside from the fact that the switch is so stiff that the tripper might just run over it instead of tripping it, it seems like the rocker is off by 180 degrees. They are caked in lithium grease, so somebody has had problems before.

I'm thinking that, even if I could get the rocker back in position, the stiffness of the switch might make it useless.
Anybody have one of these rotated that rocker like this? (couldn't get a meaningful pic without removing the dial, and decided against it.
rear of timer T104 188.JPGControl cabinet open.jpg

There are 3 switches on each pump - the timer, the toggles in the cabinet, and toggles at the equipment. Overkill a bit?

Just to close this thread out - the T104M timer is still in production, and, surprise - here is one case where the Leslie's price is lower than the big click and mortar operations - Leslie's sells the bare mechanism, where the others insist on including a housing.

Now, if only the silly thing would hold head for 24 hours, I'd be all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.