Sand Filter

I forgot to mention one thing.
You know the new Pentair sand filter that claimed to be able to filter very well and close to DE.
I heard that their "lateral", I think that is what the call it has another stage of filtration that has finer pores.
I can't remember if they put DE there or not.

The only problem I think is that they come only in small size ones. I think they want to test the market ???
Anyone using that type of Pentair filter yet ?

NICE POOL REINDEER !!!! :goodjob:

Hotrod30 said:
I also put in a small scoop of DE after each backwash. The local pool store sells BioGuard SparkleUp for $26.99 for a small tub. For DE I use Aqua Perl. I also use Aqua Perl in my DE filter that I run in series with the sand filter after the pool water is clean. Two 12# bags of Aqua Perl cost me $33.98 and will last me two years. :x

Hotrod

Every time I vacuum the pool gets cloudy so I want to try some DE in my sand filter. How much do you think I should try? My filter is 300#. I'm guessing that I would add the DE through the skimmer?

Well, the recommended amount is the amount of DE it takes to raise the clean pressure of your filter one pound. The small scoop I use adds about that or maybe alittle less. I mix the DE with water in a small pail and pour it slowly into the skimmer. The scoop is not the scoop they sell for putting DE in a DE filter. That kind of a scoop adds about a pound of DE material to the DE filter; which would be way to much for our size sand filters. (mine is 350#, 80# pea gravel and 280# sand) I know, 80 + 280 = 360. The sand came in 40# bags. I normally run the sand filter with alittle DE in it; but also have a DE filter in series that I run when the pool gets clear from the spring opening. If you put in to much DE and the pressure raised say 4#, it's not going to hurt anything. It still going to trap the dirt; and maybe work to good and you will have to backwash alot sooner. You're going to have to try different amounts to see what works best for your pool.

As for vacuuming and the flow-thru dirt; that's kind of hit or miss. You would add alittle DE to your sand filter before you vacuumed and when your filter hit the max pressure you want, you would then backwash and then add more DE to the filter. You are still going to get alittle flow-thru dirt.

Usually, to vacuum, I use my pressure side cleaner (Ray-Vac) to do the cleaning, have DE in the sand filter (with the DE filter running in series) and increase the pump to about 40gpm and shut off one skimmer. (just running on one skimmer and the bottom drain) Any fine dust-like-stuff that passes thru the Ray-Vac will usually get to the bottom drain and into the filters.

When I manually vacuum, I don't add DE to the filter. I'll vacuum using the sand filter only and when I am done, then I add some DE to the sand filter, cut in the DE filter and run only the bottom drain, increasing the pump to about 40gpm. This seems to get all the dust-like-stuff that went thru the filter after acouple of hours.

OK. All good stuff.
Here in Cyprus we pour water into the empty filter to act as a cushion for what follows:
Gravel to cover the laterals.
Coarse sand for 70% of whats left.
Fine sand to top the filter up to correct capacity.
We have used Zeolite lots of times but have found that you have make sure you keep it away from the laterals as it seems to abrade and inject dust into the water leaving the filter. :grrrr:

Any advice about Zeolite problems?

Hello Vaugh,

Mine zeolite is about 14 months old. I do not get that abrading problem, hope not. Only few weeks back when I regenerated I check it out, it stays the same like when new. I have regenrated twice.

I did a lot of reading on zeolite, the quality depends on where the mine is because, its how it naturally became zeolite millions of years ago. Since they practically do not process the zeolite other than grinding, I think..... the source defines the quality.
Quality is not only on its dimensional stability but also what ions are plenty full in it, hence most suitable application for it. Maybe its like diamond, some mines produce better quality than others. What comes from the earth that do not need prosessing further like oil, I am sure the quality varies.

Maybe try the Zelbrite brand that I use, hopefully it can be better than what you are using now.
How long does your zeolite starts to dust out like that ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.