Well, my pool IS a lovely shade of green! Please help!

Aug 21, 2014
North Alabama
About a month ago, my pool started to look bad. Took water to the pool place, and was sent home with 50lbs of baking soda, a couple of other pH manipulators and 3 bags of the rapid dissolving granular chlorine. A week later, it looked worse. I went back and was given more of the same, plus something for metals and sparkle. At this point I've added about 20 bags of that chlorine within 2 weeks. And now, over $250 later, it's still green. Strangely, there is no algae on the sides? but the water is an emerald green; not clear, not terribly cloudy, but thick looking. So today, I went and had them test my water, just to see the levels. Yes, I know I need a good kit, but I don't have one and cant get one right now. SO, this is what i have:
IG
136000 gallons
sand filter (which seems fine) dont have the model # with me, but it's the biggest round one
vinyl liner
it was installed almost 20 yrs ago

Today's readings:
FC - 0
PH -7.7
TA - 121
CH - 290
CYA - 75
Also, High Phosphorus (which would cost $100 for a fix)

So, from what I'm reading, the phosphorus stuff is hooey? and I should just slam it?? (which i cant properly do without a kit)
I've already put so much of that granular rapid dissolving stuff in it's ridiculous!
What's the deal? Can somebody help me?? Thanks ahead!

Welcome to TFP Tricia!

About a month ago, my pool started to look bad. Took water to the pool place, and was sent home with 50lbs of baking soda, a couple of other pH manipulators and 3 bags of the rapid dissolving granular chlorine. A week later, it looked worse. I went back and was given more of the same, plus something for metals and sparkle. At this point I've added about 20 bags of that chlorine within 2 weeks. And now, over $250 later, it's still green.

I swear 3/4 of the people who are on this forum could tell that exact same story, word for word. You've actually gotten by fairly cheaply so far. Fortunately, you've found the place to to get your solution.

You already know the solution. SLAM the pool. The bad news is you need a test kit. The good news is that it will cost much less than what you've spent so far, and if you order from TFTestkits.net you can have it in just a few days.

:wave:

Hi Tricia,

So you know you have already answered your own questions. You do need a test kit but I understand. For your own benefit, get one as soon as you can because it's difficult to offer advice without accurate test results.

Phosphates are hooey in the sense of who cares if you have algae food present if you don't have algae. So that's where you need to be, without algae.

First and foremost, I would stop adding stuff based on the recommendations of the pool store results and advice. I do believe they have proven that their way doesn't work. Save your $$$. Next, I would devise a plan to get a kit.

In the mean time, read up in Pool School and learn all you can about your pool and water chemistry. A SLAM is indicated if your water isn't clear in the presence of CC and overnight chlorine loss. Then I would learn to use Pool Math to find out what and how much chlorine etc to add. Liquid chlorine is your friend. Stay away from solid forms. You can also get some MA to adjust your pH down to about 7.2ish.

So am I doing it right in that I should add 30 gallons of 6% bleach with that cya?? Do I put it in all at once? on a jet??

Welcome to TFP Tricia!

I swear 3/4 of the people who are on this forum could tell that exact same story, word for word. You've actually gotten by fairly cheaply so far. Fortunately, you've found the place to to get your solution.

You already know the solution. SLAM the pool. The bad news is you need a test kit. The good news is that it will cost much less than what you've spent so far, and if you order from TFTestkits.net you can have it in just a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you sure you have 6% bleach and not 8.25% bleach? What are the actual ounces in the bottle?

Yes, 16 gallons or 6% are required to initially get you to shock level. Then you need to be testing at least twice a day and raising it back up to shock level ... that is the maintain portion of the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

How are you going to test the FC level that high? You have a test kit yet?

Ok so I have begun the Slamming process. It has been 24 hours and I see practically no change in appearance. FC level is holding ok I think for this soon : 7.5 this morning, with target at 12. I am checking and adding every 3-4 hours. Is this normal for appearance to be slow to improve?

Ok so I have begun the Slamming process. It has been 24 hours and I see practically no change in appearance. FC level is holding ok I think for this soon : 7.5 this morning, with target at 12. I am checking and adding every 3-4 hours. Is this normal for appearance to be slow to improve?

You stated your CYA was 75 in the first post. I may have overlooked it, but I don't see anything stating you lowered it. If not, it doesn't seem like 12 would be the correct shock target for your CYA.
If you start pretty green, it's going to take more than a day or two to clear it. Especially if you aren't dosing soon enough to keep it over the correct level for your CYA. It may help to read a few of others' threads about clearing algae, it gives you a good idea of what to expect. Good luck, it CAN be done!

My pool math says your shock level is 29 which would require an initial bleach addition of 1683 ozs of 8.25% or 2314 of 6% if that's really correct. 12 is correct for shock then. Which is 896 oz of 6%

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.