Pentair Platinum Legend

Aug 21, 2014
Tilghman MD
One front wheel on my Legend Platinum cleaner frequently stops turning, especially when it hits a step. The other front wheel continues to turn but alone it often cannot climb the step. The drive gear on both wheels turns fine. I've replaced the front wheels thinking that perhaps the plastic teeth had worn down, but that didn't help. The drive gears for both wheels wiggle a little, but the one that doesn't work is no looser than the one that does. Any ideas for a fix that I could do myself?

Hello,
Here's the manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/KreepyKraulyPlatinumOM.pdf

Quick look at the trouble shooting:

Kreepy Krauly ® Platinum ™ doesn’t move or moves sluggishly or hangs up on steps.

Be sure fi lter pump and booster pump are on and working properly. (You may need to clean your pool filter system).
Check the Wall Fitting screen for debris and rinse clean.
Check wheel RPM (See page 10).
Determine if the Back-Up Valve is cycling. (Hold the valve out of the water and the jet should come on for approx. 30 seconds and shut off for approx. 3 minutes and 30 seconds).
Check all the Hose connections and Swivels for leaks that can cause loss of water pressure.
Check debris that may be jammed in the gear teeth on one of the front drive wheels. Gently rotate the front wheels backward to dislodge debris.

Thanks, but I've done all that. The problem is that the left front drive gear sometimes disengages from the wheel. I assume the drive gear is turning continuously since the other front wheel never stops turning. When the cleaner is suspended in the water, both front wheels turn. When on the bottom, of course, all four wheels turn. But when the left front wheel brushes up against the wall or a step, it stops turning. When the right front wheel brushes up against the wall or a step, it continues turning and usually climbs or propels itself along the obstacle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.