New member, first time pool owner.

Aug 21, 2014
I had my pool built last summer and survived a whole year with new major issues but in need of help now.

When I attempt to run my water feature my system is telling me there is not enough water flow... Called the pool company and they sent a tech to my house who said the issue was a dirty filter and charged me $85. For the visit. One week later am having the same issue. I guess my question is do I need a new filter cartridge or can there possibly something jammed in the line causing the issue

Welcome to TFP!

A dirty cartridge is certainly a possibility. What does the pressure gauge on the filter read, and how does that compare to what it usually reads?

We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... sounds like you are waiting WAY too long and the filter is doing its job.

What does the water look like?

Ignore the non-sense that the pool stores tell you.

Cloudy water is generally a chemistry problem ... like inadequate chlorine which is letting algae grow and the clog your filter.

Post up a full set of test results, ideally from one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

I have updated my profile and signature like you have asked and posting a picture from today readings from the pool store. I will definetly look into buying my own test kits.

Once again thanks for the help.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408661160.991948.jpg

CONCRETE SHELL:
a. Concrete to be 5,000 psi shotcrete
b. 14’x28’ roman
c. 3 ½’ to 5’ to 3 ½’ deep
d. Bond beam to be 10”
e. 8’ elevated beam, raised 12”
f. Four (4) concrete steps in shallow end

. PLUMBING:
a. Main drain suction lines to be 2.5” Schedule 40 PVC
b. All plumbing to be pressure tested to filter location
c. Pool to have one (1) channel drain
d. Pool to have one (1) skimmer
e. One (1) 3’ sheer descent water feature on elevated beam
f. Pool to have Quick Fresh recirculation system (6 in-floor heads, 3 wall returns)
g. Auto refill
h. Pre-plumb for future cleaner

. TILE:
a. Tile to be 6”x6” standard tile from contractor vendor
b. 6”x6” tile on elevated beam

. DECK:
a. Install approximately 83 ln.ft. concrete brick paver pool coping at pool, standard color and mortar mix
b. Install approximately 796 square feet 1” thin pavers on existing covered lanai area
c. Install approximately 1,067 square feet standard concrete brick pavers at pool deck, standard color and pattern
d. 57’ baby barrier fencing, standard black

. POOL INTERIOR:
Interior finish of the pool will be upgraded White Pearl Pebble interior with choice of blue, teal or combination accent pebbles
- EQUIPMENT:
a. (1) Pentair VS 3050 pool pump
b. (1) Pentair PLM 200 cartridge filter
c. (1) Pentair Intellibrite LED color changing pool light
d. (1) Pentair IC 20 salt chlorine generator

Just realized that the picture is not legible below are the readings

FAC: .5
TAC: .5
Salt: 3000
CH: 350
CYA: 45
TA: 120
PH: 7.8
PHO: 100

CONCRETE SHELL:
a. Concrete to be 5,000 psi shotcrete
b. 14’x28’ roman
d. Bond beam to be 10”
e. 8’ elevated beam, raised 12”
f. Four (4) concrete steps in shallow end

. PLUMBING:
f. Pool to have Quick Fresh recirculation system (6 in-floor heads, 3 wall returns)
g. Auto refill

. TILE:
a. Tile to be 6”x6” standard tile from contractor vendor
b. 6”x6” tile on elevated beam

. DECK:
a. Install approximately 83 ln.ft. concrete brick paver pool coping at pool, standard color and mortar mix
b. Install approximately 796 square feet 1” thin pavers on existing covered lanai area
c. Install approximately 1,067 square feet standard concrete brick pavers at pool deck, standard color and pattern
d. 57’ baby barrier fencing, standard black

. POOL INTERIOR:
Interior finish of the pool will be upgraded White Pearl Pebble interior with choice of blue, teal or combination accent pebbles
- EQUIPMENT:

Orange Park Florida. Obviously am doing something wrong. Am using tampa talk app and thought I set it up properly

CONCRETE SHELL:
Concrete Shell
b. 14’x28’ roman

. PLUMBING:
g. Auto refill

- EQUIPMENT:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can not do it in Tapatalk. You need to go to the forum in a browser. We limit the signature lines to 5 ... yours is now 20.

- - - Updated - - -

You also can not access Pool School articles directly within Tapatalk either.

I had the same problem last year with low flow and cleaning the cartridges too much. Main problem was not maintaining enough chlorine which generated algae and clogged the filters. Second problem was not cleaning the cartridges effectively. Third problem was not enough CYA. I upped the chlorine level added some CYA and I found a thread here that describes a better way to clean cartridges.

Get a good hose nozzle, some TSP and a trash can big enough to hold your filters. I also bought a spare set of filters. Preclean the filters some by quickly spraying the filters off, put them in the can, add some TSP, fill with water and let them soak a while. Couple days to a week usually, then take them out and let them dry for another week or so. Then hose them off with a strong jet of water, this takes close to an hour for my four Pentair 520 cartridges. Then I set them aside for use next time I need to swap filters. Except I haven't needed to all summer because I am maintaining enough chlorine and my pressure hasn't risen all summer.

The other thing I did this winter was add a gallon of bleach every few weeks to maintain chlorine above 10 all winter. We have salt and it doesn't work in cold water but algae still grew, which gave us fits last spring with clogging the filters. Apparently, nothing clogs filters faster than a never ending source of algae.

Definitely need to get the algae killed and under control first. Then fix your water chemistry. Then clean your filters. It is certainly worth your time to read and follow the instructions in pool school. I had to read it a few times before it started making sense, but I knew nothing to start with. I went from novice pool owner to easily maintained sparkly clear water in just a few months.

I have done nothing to my pool in 2 years except add CYA, change the % on my SWG occasionally and add acid when my wife runs the waterfall all day. And we have a LOT of trees the dump a LOT of junk in the pool. I test about once a month (maybe less) with my TF-100. TFP rocks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.