Pump runs but no pressure

jpcdmd

Nov 7, 2007
I have a 6 year old Whisperflo 1.5hp pump. Today I noticed the pump was on and running (sounded quiet and normal) but there was no flow. Small amount of water in the pump basket. Removed cover and checked impeller, it rotates freely. Nothing looks out of the ordinary with the pump. Pool has been functioning fine all summer, plenty of pressure in my fountains and returns. Multi-valve lid and gasket are fairly new. Cartridge filters and salt cell are only 5 months old. Have not had any flow issues since I opened the pool 6 years ago. Main drains and skimmer basket are clear as far as I can tell. Water level is a few inches high from recent rain.

Where do I start?

Spin the impeller again and verify that the motor is acutally turning over when you turn the impeller.
Wiggle the impeller and confirm it is firmly connected and does not have excessive wobble (I dont like this sentence but you get the idea).
Verify that the motor shaft is spinning when power is applied (you state it sounded normal so I think the motor is working properly but check anyway).
If all that is in order, something is blocking the flow. Verify all valves needed are open (sometimes its the simple things we overlook).
Let us know how this checklist works out.

I have a 6 year old Whisperflo 1.5hp pump. Today I noticed the pump was on and running (sounded quiet and normal) but there was no flow. Small amount of water in the pump basket.
If the motor is running it wouldn't be an issue with the motor. It sounds more like the pump is not primed. The first thing I would check for is a clogged impeller but since you already checked the impeller, I will assume you checked for a clog too. The next thing I would check for is a blocked suction line. Try back flushing (from pump to skimmer) the suction line. You can use a hose with a wet rag to seal it. After the rain, were you vacuuming up a lot of debris?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.