Can't Stabilize Pool

Jul 1, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Well here's my story:

Bought an Intex 18x48" 2 months ago and it was great for the first month and half. All pool levels were stable and had crystal clear water. I went on vacation and that's where the heartache began. Seems we lost power and timers did not kick the pump or saltwater system back on. I got home and the pool was green so I immediately shocked the pool. It turned blue for about a day then right back to green. So 3 days ago I shocked the pool again and now the chlorine is still through the roof. I am at a loss, I have read and re-read the pool school and shock information and still cannot get the pool to stabilize.

I am beginning to think there is another culprit....the pump/filter. This thing is noisy and excuse my language but I can probably pee harder than then amount of water coming through pump. The pump has been running non stop for the past 5 days, rinsing filter morning and night. There is small amounts of dead algae being caught in the filter, but does not seem to be catching as much as i would think. Should I upgrade the pump to the intex sand filter?!?!

Also I have been brushing the bottom of the pool to clean up any dead algae. Now theimage.jpg Pool water is still cloudy blue with maybe 2' of visibility.

Here are my current water conditions:

Free chlorine: 11.48ppm
Total chlorine: 15.00ppm
Combined chlorine : 3.58ppm
Ph: 7.2
Hardness: 156ppm
Alkalinity:92ppm
Cya:36ppm
Salt:3200

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

With that much CC and cloudy water, you should still be SLAMing the pool. Though your chlorine is higher than normal, it isn't at shock level. That will slow things down some. Read SLAMing Your Pool for more information.

You are at a disadvantage with the Intex filters. They do okay keeping the water clear, but they struggle when the water gets out of hand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I am on my third day of slamming. Due to work, I have only been able to test morning and night. Water is still cloudy, just like when I started. Over night my FC has been dropping 3/4 ppm, however the CC has leveled out at .5. Currently my FC is 17 ppm. Should I continue to slam till water clears?

Patience, grasshopper. It's only day 3. No, increasing the chlorine levels higher than the chlorine/cya chart recommendations won't help. It took a while for your pool chemistry to get in this shape - it is gonna take time to get it out. Follow the SLAM process to the letter. I promise, it works. Search Richard320's inspirational links for picture proof.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.