Polaris vacuum

Aug 6, 2008
Delaware
I am having a difficult time getting a good suction from my polaris 360 vacuum. I am new at this and am getting confused on the settings at the pump when using the hand vacuum and the polaris vac. Any advice would be helpful.

We have a adjustable valve in the back that leads to our 'jets' or the polaris, it seems we need to give it at least 50% to the polaris when we want to run. If you have a picture of what you're dealing with we could help you more (the equipment your dealing with)

Thanks for your help. I have a dedicated port in the pool to provide a forced pressure into the polaris.My problem is back at the filter;I open the valve to "cleaner",shut off the far skimmer and one wall return in order to get more pressure into the polaris. Should I close off the main drain? Can I shut off both Skimmers when using the polaris?

susikay said:
Thanks for your help. I have a dedicated port in the pool to provide a forced pressure into the polaris.My problem is back at the filter;I open the valve to "cleaner",shut off the far skimmer and one wall return in order to get more pressure into the polaris. Should I close off the main drain? Can I shut off both Skimmers when using the polaris?

Never shut off both skimmers and the drain at the same time while the pump is running. This would cause damage to the pump.

The hand vac is working off of the pool's suction. While the Polaris 360 is working off the pool's pressure. So the way that you get the hand vac working is not going to be the same as getting the 360 up and running.

What type of filter do you have (i.e. sand, D.E., cartridge)? When was the last time it was cleaned or backwashed?

I would leave all of the skimmers and Main Drains open. Then, one at a time(if you can) close off the returns but leave the Polaris one all the way open. Keep shutting them off until you have adequate pressure at the Polaris's return.

HTH,
Adam

Thank-you for your suggestions. I backwashed and hand vacuumed today with-out problem.
I have a Hayward sand filter and also the salt system. Next time I set up to use the polaris I will try your suggestion to turn valves one at a time. Last time the suction into the bottom of the polaris was weak

If ultimately you don't like the valve/plumbing arrangement of your Polaris booster pump, you could do what I did with my Polaris 280..... I put the booster pump on its own dedicated plumbing circuit so it runs whenever it wants and no valves involved. Been really nice.

If you decide to ever do this, there are a couple issues:
1) The Polaris Booster WILL run fine on its own however it is a NON-self priming pump so you have to either fabricate a priming pot to place on the intake side of it, or make sure the intake is flooded if your pumps are below pool water level, or buy a priming pot. I built my own out of 3" diameter PVC pipe about 18" tall with a screw cap on top for manual water filling. Once it is all installed and primed the first time, you don't have to manually prime anymore.
2) While you are redoing the plumbing, I would recommend plumbing in a T fitting with a pressure gauge so you can keep an eye on the booster circuit. Got mine from Home Depot.
3) You will also have to install a strainer basket in front of the pump to protect it and the Polaris from debris as it no longer has the benefit of sharing your pool filter. Got mine from Graingers.
4) You will need a spring check valve before the Prime Pot to help priming if you use a prime pot.

I connected my Polaris intake to my Pool main drain. Works great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.