Borate Drop Test - Failed

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
I tried the Borate drop test today. I had ordered the S-0009 and S-0010 from Amazon to use in conjunction with my Taylor K-2006. So I got to step 3 where you add 5 drops of the S-0009 Bromothymol Blue. The sample should turn yellow. Didn't happen. So then, you continue adding R-0009 drop wise while capping and mixing until you achieve yellow. Never happened. I used 1/4 of a bottle of R-0009 and never achieved yellow. Test discontinued.

Any ideas as to why my sample didn't turn yellow. I used 2 drops of R-0007 in step 1 and 5 drops of R-0009 in step 2 as per instructions.

Appreciate any advice on what I should do differently.

Yep, those were the instructions I followed. I also did some pre-reading from this site and found at least one other member had the same issue ie. no detectable change to yellow in step 3. Didn't see any resolution posted. One of my reagents in my Taylor kit is old and I'm hoping that replacing it will generate the expected results as outlined in the instruction guide. I've been using the recommended strips; however, recently had some significant PH bounce and suspected my borate level had dropped (lots of rain & drain) yet the test strips weren't giving that indication. Looked like my borate level was around 30ppm. Had a second set of eyes looking as well. So after doing some research, I decided to order the two additional reagents and try the piscines-apollo instructions, since I couldn't get their kit. I'll post back my results after purchasing a fresh reagent and trying the test again next week.

Bromothymol Blue is a pH indicator dye. If it doesn't have ANY color when you add it, then it's not working and perhaps the dye is too weak/diluted. Is it even colored in concentrated form? The dye is yellow below pH 6.0 and blue above pH 7.6. Try adding it to some tap water. If it doesn't color the water even with a small sample size then you've got a bad reagent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.