Cloudy water and fine dirt at the bottom of the pool after vacuuming?

Aug 20, 2014
Covington, KY.
I just installed a 24' above ground pool with a sand filter in July from a place called Watkins. Everything was going fine I would hook the vacuum to the skimmer and vacuum, then backwash, then rinse. The last 2 times I vacummed I forgot to backwash and only rinsed. After each time I noticed the next day the fine dirt was back in the bottom of my pool. I realized what I was doing wrong so yesterday I vacummed, backwashed, then rinsed, but today the dirt was back on the bottom of my pool. The water is also cloudy and greenish, but I am more concerned with the dirt returning after vacuuming, backwashing, and rinsing. Can anyone help me?

It looks like fine dirt, its completely gone after vacuuming, but returns overnight, and I can see it in the morning. Does algae grow that fast because it is quite a large amount settling on the floor of my pool. I can see it disapate as I am vacuuming. I don't have a fancy test kit, I just have the aquacheck strips. If you still think it is algae what should I do to fix that problem?

It looks like fine dirt, its completely gone after vacuuming, but returns overnight, and I can see it in the morning. Does algae grow that fast because it is quite a large amount settling on the floor of my pool. I can see it disapate as I am vacuuming. I don't have a fancy test kit, I just have the aquacheck strips. If you still think it is algae what should I do to fix that problem?

It's algae, and it grows that fast. Read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and then Defeating Algae

Bottom line is that you aren't keeping enough chlorine in the pool to control the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.