CuLater, Sequestrant, and Clarifier

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis
I just did an AA treatment and added 1.5 bottles of Ocean Breeze Metal Miracle, pool looks awesome but it is a bit cloudy. I wanted to try the CuLater pack today but wanted to know if I could put a little clarifier in to clear up the pool. I have not started to bring my chlorine up yet. My questions:

1. Will the clarifier affect the CuLater?
2. At what point should I backwash the pump? Last time I did this I did add the clarifier after the pool did not clear up after a couple of days and within hours my psi rose significantly so I back washed, but this is the first time I have tried the CuLater pack.
3. Why is the pool so cloudy after I use the sequestrant? Is it all the metal freely floating around?
4. Has anyone ever heard of metal getting in the pool due to deck runoff? My pool store guy said if the wood is over 5 years old it could have been treated with copper.

Thanks for any help, I have been going in circles all summer with this and do not know where this metal is coming from! I plan on changing the sand in my filter at closing to see if that helps next year. It will be my last effort to try and fix this once and for all!

We usually recommend filtration over using a clarifier. If the particles are fine and not getting filtered out, then you can Add DE to a Sand Filter. Or if they are algae starting to grow then chlorine should kill it. If you overdose with sequestrant, then that gets cloudy from the sequestrant itself not being separately dissolved and instead probably forming larger complexes that diffract light more.

Anyway, if you use a clarifier it shouldn't affect the CuLator, but to be safe do the clarifier first then after the pool is cleared then add the CuLator.

Ok sounds good! I just read the link to add DE, and I think I will do that next spring if not before. After the initial adding of DE to make psi rise 1, how do you know when to add more? Does it matter what kind of DE? I remember asking the pool store earlier in the summer and they only sold it in large quantities. I seriously hate asking them ANY questions because they never know what they are talking about:scratch:...and then get flustered when you try to correct them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.