Grill Island Redesign - seeking advice

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all. This is a follow up to my post from a couple days ago (Grill disaster - need help). After much searching, emails, phone calls, and sifting through a lot if incorrect specs and measurements on retailer's sites, I decided on a Lion L75000. It was above our budget, but at a sale price of 1,495., it seemed like a great grill at a good price (and came with cover, smoker box, rotisserie, and griddle, and has built in lights). I played around with lots of ideas on how to accommodate the measurements issue. The depth cut-out worked perfectly as out cut out is 20.5" (note: the online info says you need 21.5, but Lion confirmed it's actually 20.5). Our cut out width is 32.5" and the L75000 measures 32" at the outermost point of it's flanges, and the flanges aren't very big as far as overhang goes. Let me stop here and say that Lion has been great with regards to answering questions via email and phone! So, I had considered using the flanges from my previous grill (Jenn Air 5 burner) as they were just bolt on, and Lion confirmed I could just retro-fit these onto the L75000 however, I realized last night that they actually won't fit as they are just just an L shape (they have an 'indent' of sorts which won't work). New plan! Apparently, the L75000 does not have side vents and can sit directly on a solid surface. My grill island is made from masonry/paver type blocks which measure 12L"x8D"x4"H and the island is essentially "open" inside. Based on that, my new approach is to build up a solid base inside the island for the grill to sit on. The plan is to built the base so that the grill can sit on it (apparently it has 1/2" tall 'feet' for drip tray clearance) and have the side flanges just above the top of the countertop, so that I can slide a 1" wide strip of stainless under the flanges and over the countertop cut out edge as an aestethic trim and to divert water away. My question is; should I build the inner base out of solid block (ie the same blocks that the island is made from) or something like cinder block)? Note: the island sits in a concrete pad, and the new grill weighs 170 lbs (if any of that matters).
I will try to post some pics of the island. Appreciate any thoughts!

Hi again. Almost 60 views, but no replies? :( I'm trying to load a few photos as I hope that will help, but having difficult doing so. Anyway, had a few more emails with Lion yesterday, and they clarified that the 'feet' on the bottom of the grill are really more like 1" wide rails which run front to back. That's actually good news as it sounds like all I need to do is create a flat surface on the base that I build inside the island, and the grill will just sit on it's rails on that base. Having the hang on the countertop via it's own flanges would, of course, be preferred, but given that the existing opening in my granite is just too big for this grill, this is the next best option, I guess. Still debating whether to use the paver blocks that the island is built from or just some cinderblocks turned on their sides to as to provide for a flat surface, but that might require more cutting, still trying to figure out if the grill would fit correctly on an even/full course of paver blocks (the measurements may just work out, waiting for Lion to confirm some exact dimensions).

And now another thought just popped into my head. Possibly create the 'base' frame inside the island with metal studs? Secure them into the block walls somehow (never worked with metal studs before). Would need those frame rails to be able to support 170 lbs.

You could build a steel frame within the island no problem for support. Be pretty easy and inexpensive to do. I don't think you would need more than 3 tracks and 3-4 studs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.