InteliChlor IC40 Cell Light Blinking

Aug 10, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I'm afraid that my 3-year old InteliChlor is dead. The cell light is blinking green and the InteliChlor manual, page 7: “Cell: Shows the status of the IECG. Green (flashing): The IECG needs to be inspected. The blades may have calcium buildup. The IECG is not producing chlorine.”

I've cleaned the cell thoroughly, there is no calcium on the electrodes. Is it possible that it failed after 3 summers of use?

Has anyone have similar experienced with InteliChlor?

I'm in my 5th summer and 3rd cell. Luckily 2 were under warranty. Last winter I started shutting it off (Houston area) and using bleach for Cl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a very practical idea. If anyone has a Pentair IntelliChlor, Pentair sells a dummy pipe with the proper fittings on it do you can detach your IC and replace it with a straight tube. Since most SWG won't run in the winter due to the cold water cutoff, it's probably better to switch over to manual chlorination.

I assume the reason for the dummy replacement is to prevent freezing damage etc. (usually not an issue here). Or just use one your "dead" ones. :)

I meant this -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002NJTUA2/ref=pd_aw_sims_3?pi=SL500_SS115

It's just a straight pipe meant as a dummy to be placed where you'd normally have the cell. In some areas it's advisable to remove the cell over winter so there's no chance of freezing damage. Here in Southern AZ, the pool water flows all year round so there's little chance of freezing but it does get cold enough that the cell will stop generating. So this pipe would be a way of still running the pool but without a cell.

I just wonder if there's any harm to just leaving the cell in place, but shutting it off or unplugging it. That is essentially what I have done over the last 7 years. Of course, I'm now on my 3rd cell...

I'm in So. California, so the freezing risk is negligible..

I just wonder if there's any harm to just leaving the cell in place, but shutting it off or unplugging it. That is essentially what I have done over the last 7 years. Of course, I'm now on my 3rd cell...

I'm in So. California, so the freezing risk is negligible..

Seems very reasonable. I left my cell in place and active all last winter. When it got cold here, the cold water cutoff kicked in for several weeks straight so the cell stopped generating chlorine.

I'm not sure which is better for extended cell life - leaving it in or shelving it.

We simply don't get cold enough here in Tucson to worry about prolonged freezing damage as our daytime temps are almost always well above freezing. I would be worried if I lived in a different climate where prolonged freezing is an issue and would therefore remove the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a suggestion for those of you who have been through more than one cell. I replace my good cell with a bad cell during my NON-SWG use during the winter, so even if I'm running the pump, I'm using a dummy SWG that went bad in the past. It's a 5-minute switch. You don't need to buy the dummy piece.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.