Trying to be a good neighbor

tvfoxy59

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2008
Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY
Hi!

I have found this site very helpful.Thanks!
I am trying to help my neighbor. She does not have internet access right now,computer crash,etc.
Here are her "stat":AG
24 ft.,52" deep,no bottom drain,Pentair/Sand dollar approx 150 lbs. sand filter,
1 hp dynamo pump.
She took a sample to our local pool store and here are those numbers:
TC 7
FC 6.5
pH 7
TA109
CYA63

The pool is lime green! She has been vacuuming also!
Canbarely see bottom.
As per the store recommendation, she added 8 lbs of Balance pack for alkalinity.She did this on 8/5. For her regular sanitizer she uses Bioguard 1" silk tabs.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I need some help myself but that is for another time!!! :blah:

For the 'lime green' I think most people around here would tell her to shock like crazy with bleach...get it around 20 ppm and hold it until it clears up. it sounds like it's a lot of algae, she's doing a good job sweeping but it can't survive in that much chlorine and the cheapest way to get it that high without raising the CYA is good old fashioned bleach.

Maybe you should print up a few of the 'pool school' posts for her, I bet it would help a lot!

And wish we all had great neighbor's like you! (I love ours but have heard nightmares)

Welcome and I agree, I like the suggestion to print out the pool school articles. Also tell her to stop using the Bioguard tabs, they are making her PH too low and they are making her CYA too high. See the article about Recommend Levels in Pool School. She needs to raise her PH and use liquid chlorine for sanitizing instead of the tabs....She should run her filter 24/7 and continue shocking her pool, according to the CYA / Chlorine chart, until its all clear.

Good luck, hope she has an open mind. :) :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.