First time closer

Jul 9, 2014
Connecticut
So we put up an above ground pool this season, dealt with algae since my CYA/ chlorine was too low. SLAMed the pool, and am finally at good levels. And just passed my 3rd and final town inspection last week. Yeah! Thanks for all the forum information!
Since it has been a pretty cool summer, water temp is maybe 70, got up to 80 for a while, already thinking of how to close it up, will worry about heating options over the winter. I have read the basics on closing up. Haven't purchased supplies (cover, pillows, etc.) yet.
Do I remove the return eye and replace it with a plug? Is that difficult to remove?

Hoses to pump, I understand that I drain the hoses and pump/filter, Do I detach them or add antifreeze? If antifreeze, does it go into the filter? Where would I actually put antifreeze?

What is PolyQuat?
What is a spider gasket?
Are there different qualities in covers, leaf covers

Thanks, Sandra

Hi Sandra,

You don't need to add any antifreeze to the filter. I always put a little in the pump strainer, although it probably isn't really necessary. The major thing you want to do is to lower the water level below the skimmer, blow the water out of the lines and plug them while the air pressure is still going. You can use an air compressor or a shop vac. If your return lines aren't threaded on the end, then you can just use a rubber plug that has a wingnut in the center to get them tight. For the skimmer, I have a double rubber plug - the bottom plug takes care of the drain line and the top one protects the pipe that comes into the skimmer.

OOPS...just noticed that you have an above-ground...can't help you with that. You'll probably find good advice at the link you were provided with.

Hi, I previously read the closing article as well as a few others on the site. Maybe some of those parts don't relate to my above ground pool. I have since picked up a cover for the pool, just need to look for a leaf cover. What is a spider gasket? I will check with the pool store to find out what PolyQuat is,or what chemicals I need. What about plugging in the return? Do I need to remove the eye? Thanks for the antifreeze response. I guess that is a personal preference.
Thanks, Sandra

I would highly suggest you not ask a pool store for chemical advice ... as I am sure they have a lot of potions that they would love to sell you.

If you are going to plug the return pipe, then you will likely need to remove the eyeball.

1) Eyeball out. Pool store should have a plug for this. Flat washers and long bolt with wing nut.
2) You should have a skimmer in the side of the pool. Did it come with a cover? I have a cover for my skimmer and with the cover and the plug i do not drain water.
3) If no door, I believe you should lower to below skimmer. (Others chime in)
4) Remove hoses, drain pump, set filter to WINTERIZE & drain filter. There should be a cap on the bottom to remove.

I bring in the hoses and pump into the garage. I get new hoses every year and save last years for emergency.

Spider gasket is in the control vale on the filter. This will need to be replaced periodically as they wear out. I lube mine with silicon at the start of every season and when closing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.