Closing chemicals needed

Amanda14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2014
East Northport, NY
Surface
Vinyl
Hi.

I am beginning to think about closing our pool and I was wondering before I go online to buy a closing kit I was wondering if there is a list I should go from? I expect to have my TF-100 tomorrow and will post the results, but I wanted to ask because I was looking for a list and couldn't find one. I know the steps of blowing lines, gizmos, below the skimmer line drain as I closed my pool last year, but I am more interested in the chemicals that should be added. I realize that much of this has to do with the chemicals in the pool now, but just figured I would ask. I am not going to close it for a couple of weeks but I am just thinking about it now.

Thanks!

I would bring up the pool to SLAM level for your CYA with bleach. As long as everything else is balanced, that's it! Some members dump in polyquat (I did last year) because I close with my pool water too warm (I have tons of trees that drop leaves) and figured it can't hurt. I didn't have a swamp when I re-opened this spring. I found the polyquat on amazon.

You'll also need several gallons of RV antifreeze to dump into underground lines and skimmer after you've blown them out. Make sure it's RV antifreeze, not automotive. I may do the polyquat this year, depending on when I decide to close. Outside of those two, you'll just need the extra bleach to bring up to SLAM level.

Because I have extra powder shock and want to use it and get rid of it, is that a big no no?

Assuming you're talking about dichlor, it will raise your CYA for next season. The amount of dichlor necessary to raise 30,000 gallons of water to shock level will raise the CYA by 7-10 ppm. I guess if you're having to replace water in the spring it might work for you. Just be careful not to end up over your target once everything is up and running next year.

You might want to save it rather than toss it in now. If you're going to dump water to winterize you might need the CYA in the powder shock after opening the pool. You'll need the FC anyway but it would be killing two birds with one stone so to speak and it would also leave you lower in CYA when you open so less bleach needed ($$) to SLAM when you open.

Save your chemicals- you might need them. What are the ingredients of the powdered shock? dichlor or sodium-hypo? As stated, I wouldn't use it until you know your CYA. If needed, then great. If your CYA is high, then no.

TFP isn't just using liquid bleach, it's about knowing your levels and only adding what the water needs, not dumping whatever you have and hope for the best.

It depends on your current CYA, how much you intend to use and how much water you drain during closing.

For instance, say your CYA is 40 and that's been working great for you. At closing, you add 6 lbs of dichlor shock to get FC from 3 to 16. This will also raise your CYA by 12, to 52. Then if you drop your pool level by 1 foot, you'll be replacing about 6000 gallons in the spring. When you refill, if it takes the full 6000 gallons you will have replaced 20% of your pool volume, bringing your CYA from 52 to about 42. It may not be a bad thing depending on how much you use. But then your SLAM level is already higher in the spring...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks- my hope is to have the TF-100 tomorrow and get rolling but I would like to use my leftover chemicals before getting the bleach etc
I saved my dichlor. I started off with CYA around 180 2 years ago. Dumping water wasn't an option as my pool is 440000 litres, so it took me the last 2 years of backwashing to get CYA down. Earlier this year my CYA had gone down to 30ppm so the saved dichlor came in handy to get it back up. Now I intend to keep a small amount of dichlor on hand just for such eventualities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.