First Above Ground Pool Closing / Winterizing Help Please

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
So I read this but have some questions below please:

• This procedure should be begun well before danger of freeze to allow all equipment adequate time to fully drain/dry and prevent the chance of damage to hoses, fittings and equipment. However, don't close too early, wait for the water to get down to 60 degrees or lower.
So is this important?? I'm guessing it won't take long for the water to get that cold with nights and leaving the solar cover off?

• Clean and brush pool. Bring pool water to "shock" level and maintained there for 24hrs with pump running to be sure that there are no remaining algae blooms.
I'm going to measure my CYA again but last time I measured it was around 35.. So with that number I should bring my FC to 14 let the pump run for 24 hours and then bring it back to FC of 14?

• Skimmer/return plugs or "gizmos" may be installed or they may be left open - this is a personal choice for each pool owner
What "gizmos" are being talked about here? First year having a pool and I don't know what this is referring.. I also don't have any plugs or anything either..

• A polyquat algaecide may be administered per dosing instructions on product (optional.) Distribute evenly with brush, leaf rake or leaf skimmer.
Do most people do this? Like I mentioned, first year and not sure what to do..

• Drain filters/pump well and remove pump, hoses and fittings. Inspect all items for evidence of damage or excessive wear and plan to order replacements before spring.
So I drain my pool 6" under the skimmer.. Then I drain the pump and store it indoors.. I have a 350lb sand filter so I'm hoping it's OK to leave it out (covered).. Anything I have to do to it? Get all the water out?

• Remove muti-port/spider gasket. Smaller fittings, hardware and filter drain plugs can be stored inside pump pot basket - lube pump pot basket with silicone lube. Remaining pump hardware can be placed inside gallon zip-lock bag and taped to side of pump.
Multi port / spider gasket?? No idea what a pump pot basket is either or where to lube it..

• If using a winter cover, install per manufacturers instructions (i.e., pillows and anchoring)
What does everyone use to weigh their winter covers down? I've seen people use milk jugs or similar but I'm wondering if others had better solutions..

Thanks much!

A gizmo is a plug designed for use in the skimmer holes. Not such a big deal on an AG since you can leave the bottom unplugged and the water will drain out.

Removing the spider gasket seems crazy to me. Same with moving the filter indoors. The only thing I take inside is the pressure gauge from my filter. You should plug the gauge port on the filter when you remove the gauge.

I generally wait until freezing temps are in the forecast to winterize my pool.

I think the polyquat is more useful than raising the chlorine to shock level. The polyquat will help for much longer than the chlorine.

For an AG pool, bleach jugs full of water are about the best cover weights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.