Silt in pool

tjroux

Sep 1, 2012
Gardiner, ME
Came home from vacation trip ( 3 days ) and pool was crystal clear, but the bottom of the pool had a greenish/brown silty powder on it.... FC is 0 ( figured it would be after the trip ) ran the pump on low the entire time... So I know nothing is living in the water, filter is working.... I charged the filter with DE powder and that helped when I vacuumed it up last time but I haven't been able to get rid of all of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Any ideas? im "drowning" heh, bad joke

How can you say nothing is living in the pool? You admitted that the FC is 0 so there is certainly stuff living in the pool regardless if the pump was running. You need to follow the SLAM process to kill what has taken root.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You have a misunderstanding of the function of chlorine and filtration. We'll be glad to help you get sorted out but a review of Pool Chemistry principles is in order.

I've read and understand it quite well... i also stated the water was crystal clear. When I vacuum it all sucks up and the water/pool is perfectly clean.
FC is 0-1ppm ( after 3 days of not being home, was 3 to 4 Friday morning, was gone all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ( tested 6pm sunday )
The silt is 100% independent of the FC level as it was existent after the SLAM process was complete and completed 100% to the letter... I've had the silt since last summer as well.

Nothing slimey or anything else in the pool... i can "brush" the bottom" and stir it up... turn the pump on over night and some of it will clean up and the silt will be back in a few days.... it's not even green really it's almost a brown color... The water is always clear................................

My question was really how to deal with the silt... I slammed my pool back in June and have not had a single issue with pool chemistry since...Silt in the pool has been an issue since day one. I also vac and brush the pool roughly once a week, less if the kids are in it every day

Im wondering if it's:
1. Sand/Dust from the air
2. The sand in the filter is new this year ( not sure if it just keeps cycling through and it's "dust" from the new sand )
3. Something else im missing....

Well, if you are convinced that it is not algae (I may not be having let the FC drop too low), then it very well may just be dirt/dust/pollen entering the water and you just need to run a cleaner more often.

My assumption was based on many things... including all my levels being inline for the last several weeks including my FC levels, CC levels and everything else but Silt still existing.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note, last time I went away for 3 days, I raised the FC level to around 8ppm ( assuming loosing 1ppm each day I was gone to bring to around 5 ( still a lil high but thats ok ) and I still had silt in the pool.... and when I arrived home my FC level was 6... didnt put any bleach in for 2 more days after that and then we were around 4-5ppm. Again have a hard time believing anything is living in the pool.

FC is was 0-1 ( added one gallon of bleach 8.25% when i got home last night ) to bring to 5 tested at 5 this morning ( This furthers my assumptions that nothing is living in the pool )
CYA is 30 and has been since I added it back in june during my slam process

1. Did you test your FC after you added the bleach to make sure it was 5? This is not a proper OCLT test which is best done when your FC is at shock level for your CYA. I suggest an OCLT at shock level, with testing after you add bleach to verify your FC number.

2. Could you have something wrong with your filter and some of the sand/zeosand is getting back into the pool?

3. If the silt were blown in from an external source, I would expect that you would see this silt covering everything outside (tables, chairs, etc.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just joined and am new to being a pool owner, but my pool is also crystal clear and I can get silt in the bottom of the pool. For me, though, the source is obvious. I live in Pflugerville, TX just outside Austin. It can get windy often here. When the wind picks up debris from trees and what I don't even really notice directly (sand and dirt) get dumped into the pool.

My filter and pool cleaner (Polaris 360) cleans it up almost perfectly ( a few corners by the steps have to be manually stirred up and now and then). My pool cleaner just died and I am waiting for my rebuild kit to arrive. I had no idea just how effective it can be until now. I have an obvious layer of silt/sand building up on the bottom in only 2-3 days. The type of bag I use on my cleaner also catches sand (finer mesh) and it gathers anywhere from nothing to 2-3 cups per week depending on wind and what the wind picks up. I sat one day and watched the dirt on my neighbors roof get scoured up (and its not all that close) and a stream of wind perfectly directed the dirt collected on the roof into my pool.

Also note: I use a DE filter and it does a tremendous job of removing fine particles from the water. It is clearly far more effective with the robot tail constantly stirring up the water. Without the robot, my water is still crystal clear, but the bottom is collecting a lot, in days.

I read something about sand moving around in the filter because it channels or something? I wasnt doing an over night loss test.... I was simply stating I did not lose any FC overnight... I have silt residue on the edge of my metal roof, my eves.... I live in maine.... pine trees and oak trees all over, garden, small back yard so anything we or the neighbors do effects everyone.

You could have more than one issue happening at the same time... first, I strongly suggest that you do the OCLT just to rule out, with 100% certainy, that you do not have organics in the pool that would need for you to SLAM.

Once you ruled out organics, you can check out the filter to make sure that it is doing its job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.