AA Treatment Questions

Erack

Jun 16, 2014
Mebane, NC
Hi All!

I had a stained liner and have followed the directions to the letter that were posted at http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains . Last night at midnight the staining was completely gone! (absolutely amazing) I added the sequestering agent as instructed and switched my filter from circulate to filter. It states that after 24 hours I can start to rebalance the water.

When I start doing this I know I will need to bring up my TA and PH without getting my PH above 7.2

I know I should make changes slowly but what is slow? For example, if my TA were to be 40 and needs to be 70, what is a safe amount of change per period of time to go with?

Do I need to wait till my TA is at 70 and my PH is at 7.2 before I start bringing up my CL?

It says to slowly bring the CL up to the minimum CL for your CYA according to the "best guess chart" and to watch for any staining to come back. What is slowly? Since my CYA is 35 the minimum I should be at is 2.5 Under normal conditions it would take 46 ounces of 12.5% bleach to raise my CL 2.5 but with all the AA in the pool I understand it will take much more till the AA is gone. How much 12.5% bleach should I add at a time to keep in the "slow" category?

Sorry for so many questions I just want to do the best I can and hopefully NOT have the staining come back.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sorry this post was missed!

I suggest if the TA is at least 60ish and the pH is between 7 & 7.2, you can go ahead and slowly add FC.

Aim for 2ppm FC. You could test every hour or so to see if it is holding. If not, add enough to get to 2FC. All the while keeping an eye on the stains to see if they start to come back. If they do, try adding more sequestrant.

Keep up the FC additions until it holds (the FC and AA cancel each other) and then slowly increase FC to your maintenance levels.

Thanks for the response. This morning before I left for the office the TA was at 70 and my PH was 6.7. When I get home I am gonna add some Borax to bring my PH up to 7-7.2. Once that is done I will start adding the bleach. So far the liner still looks wonderful! I was amazed at how quickly the stain lifted.

Last edited:
When I got home at 7:30 last night I was happy to see that there were no signs of staining returning but the water was cloudy. It had been crystal clear when I left for work that morning and my daughter said it was clear at 2:30 when I called her to go check if any staining was returning.

7:50pm
70ppm TA 7.0 PH. I felt there was no need to add any Borax at this time so I started the process of bringing my chlorine up. Added 37oz 12.5% bleach

9:10pm
No signs of staining, slightly more cloudy. 0.5ppm FC < 0.5ppm CC. Added 27oz 12.5% bleach

10:50pm
No signs of staining returning, slightly more cloudy. 1.2ppm FC < 0.2ppm CC. Added 15oz 12.5% bleach and went to bed. :)

6:45am
No signs of staining returning, still cloudy, about the same as the last check. Did a full water test. 1.4ppm FC, < 0.2ppm CC, 7.1 PH, 70ppm TA, 80ppm CH, 35ppm CYA Added 11oz 12.5% bleach

8:55am
No signs of staining returning, still cloudy, maybe ever so slightly getting better. 1.2ppm FC, <0.2ppm CC. Added 10oz of 12.5% bleach because that is all I had. (should have added 15oz, I am going to the store at lunch to get more)

Any ideas on the cloudiness? Is there anything I can do (according to the instructions for ascorbic acid treatment to remove metal stains I can't shock for two weeks)? Is it possible it will clear on its on?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to TFP I have had a beautiful pool this summer and no more pool store! I had lived with the stains and am amazed at how they are completely gone. I just want to do all I can to prevent them from coming back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.