Raising the supports on one side of a Large Ultra-Frame Rectangular Pool 32' x 16'

amax

Aug 4, 2014
Indonesia
Right, here is an interesting one for all the experts out there and some information for anyone that might find themselves in a similar situation.

I have a large outside seating area which is fully tiled with medium format tiles. The whole area is covered by a roof and there is an adjacent tiled area covered by a semi transparent roof, which is where I intend to set up my Ultra Frame Rectangular Pool 32' x 16' x 52" when it arrives. In other words the pool will rest on smooth tiles. I currently have my 15' round metal frame pool on this area where it has sat for nearly 2 years.

Length ways the tiled area is dead level.

Width ways the tiled area has a Grade of 1.69%. This is so that, firstly we can wash it down and water will run off the tiled area and secondly, during the monsoons any water that does enter the area will drain away.
With the first, round pool, I did nothing to adjust this level and, consequently, the water level on furthest side was higher on the pool liner (by about 68mm or 2 43/64" in old money). It has sat happily like this.

The new pool will run length ways down the area, which is level. Consequently the pool will be level length ways.

I have two choices with the with of the new pool:

A) do the same as with the first pool and just accept that the level will be off by approximately 76 mm (3 1/32") width wise.

or

B) Adjust the height of the posts (width wise) on one side only, to raise the rail height width wise and level the water around the sides of the pool.

I am inclined to go with B.

Obviously these pools have three separate dimensions, Top rail width/length, Bottom width/length and Outer width/length (where the bottom of the support rails rest).

I want to raise the Rail height and so I have used Top rail width to calculate the rise needed, but obviously the blocks that I make will be placed under the outer rails which, although further apart, actually raise the rail height. Bottom width of the pool is wider than rail width as well.

Length wise

I will be putting no blocks under the 8 brace/supports on the near side of the pool.

On the outer side (across the width of the pool), I will be placing 76.63 mm plained pressure treated wooden blocks under the 8 brace/supports to raise the outer rail height by 76.63 mm (3 1/32").

Width

I have calculated the rise height for each of the 4 brace supports down the width sides of the pool and will be putting different sized blocks under each pair of brace/supports on both width sides of the pool. Brace 1 being the brace closest to the length side that has no blocks under the braces.

Brace 1 = 17 mm Block
Brace 2 = 34 mm Block
Brace 3 = 51 mm Block
Brace 4 = 68 mm Block

I am attaching a diagram so that you can see what I am talking about.

View attachment 32765

Now I appreciate that this is going to put different pressures on the liner, but my rough calculations suggest that, because of the perfect gradient of the tiles underneath the liner and the gradual change in rail height the liner should cope fine and weight will just be redistributed along the liner.

Opinions from those with experience welcomed.

Cheers

Yes, thanks for that idea. I was thinking of putting some extruded polystyrene under it, if I can get hold of it over here. I believe, from reading the posts here that it is the best stuff to use? I don't think that sand would work on top of the tiles though as they are perfectly smooth.

Interested to know what peoples thoughts are on the ability of the liner to cope with the slightly different load distribution? Or if anyone thinks that it is not a good idea and rather just leave all the brace/supports on the same level?

Cheers all

I can't see anyone here telling you that setting up your pool on an unleveled surface is a good idea. You could reduce all your block sizes by 1/2 and then the pool will only be less than 2" un leveled.

Right, here is an interesting one for all the experts out there and some information for anyone that might find themselves in a similar situation.

I have a large outside seating area which is fully tiled with medium format tiles. The whole area is covered by a roof and there is an adjacent tiled area covered by a semi transparent roof, which is where I intend to set up my Ultra Frame Rectangular Pool 32' x 16' x 52" when it arrives. In other words the pool will rest on smooth tiles. I currently have my 15' round metal frame pool on this area where it has sat for nearly 2 years.

Length ways the tiled area is dead level.

Width ways the tiled area has a Grade of 1.69%. This is so that, firstly we can wash it down and water will run off the tiled area and secondly, during the monsoons any water that does enter the area will drain away.
With the first, round pool, I did nothing to adjust this level and, consequently, the water level on furthest side was higher on the pool liner (by about 68mm or 2 43/64" in old money). It has sat happily like this.

The new pool will run length ways down the area, which is level. Consequently the pool will be level length ways.

I have two choices with the with of the new pool:

A) do the same as with the first pool and just accept that the level will be off by approximately 76 mm (3 1/32") width wise.

or

B) Adjust the height of the posts (width wise) on one side only, to raise the rail height width wise and level the water around the sides of the pool.

I am inclined to go with B.

Obviously these pools have three separate dimensions, Top rail width/length, Bottom width/length and Outer width/length (where the bottom of the support rails rest).

I want to raise the Rail height and so I have used Top rail width to calculate the rise needed, but obviously the blocks that I make will be placed under the outer rails which, although further apart, actually raise the rail height. Bottom width of the pool is wider than rail width as well.

Length wise

I will be putting no blocks under the 8 brace/supports on the near side of the pool.

On the outer side (across the width of the pool), I will be placing 76.63 mm plained pressure treated wooden blocks under the 8 brace/supports to raise the outer rail height by 76.63 mm (3 1/32").

Width

I have calculated the rise height for each of the 4 brace supports down the width sides of the pool and will be putting different sized blocks under each pair of brace/supports on both width sides of the pool. Brace 1 being the brace closest to the length side that has no blocks under the braces.

Brace 1 = 17 mm Block
Brace 2 = 34 mm Block
Brace 3 = 51 mm Block
Brace 4 = 68 mm Block

I am attaching a diagram so that you can see what I am talking about.

View attachment 32765

Now I appreciate that this is going to put different pressures on the liner, but my rough calculations suggest that, because of the perfect gradient of the tiles underneath the liner and the gradual change in rail height the liner should cope fine and weight will just be redistributed along the liner.

Opinions from those with experience welcomed.

Cheers

Hi,

Did you succefully raised this retangular ultra frame pool with blocks ? I have the same issue (pavement underneath and its max 2,5 inch out level in the length, but diagonal almost 4 inch. I was thinking about raising the supports but i am afraid that the frame would cave in and would not be straight. Any thoughts?

Bart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.