Drain Holes Question

RADA

Aug 8, 2014
Apple Valley, CA
Hello All,

I've seen some pictures here where people have hooked up PVC lines to the drain holes at the bottom of their Intex pools.

Is this conduct the draining water to the appropriate area in your yards (instead of across the whole yard)?

OR

Are you all some evil mad geniuses who have decided to use these drain holes to help the pump cycle water through the bottom of your pools?

I ask because we live in the High Desert of Southern California.

Our biggest pool problem is blowing sand. Even with the cover on, and using Zeolite sand in our pump, we still accumulate quite a bit of sand on a weekly basis.

Once this sand sinks to the bottom, my only alternative is vacuum it out as waste, or using a .05 micron Slime Bag, returning the water to the pool.

I thought if one of the drains was connected as an intake and the other as output, and I could get some circulation going at the bottom of the pool, it might help remove this sand automatically instead of spending a hour+ week vacuuming to get rid of it.

Yes / No / You're Freaking Crazy?

Thanks!

RADA

Some folks have plumbed it as an extra return or an extra suction. If you search terms like "intex hard plumbed" or "intex modifications" you should be able to pull up other threads with more detail.

Shirker -

They will last about a season, maybe two with proper cleaning. They do an amazing job if you have particle matter too small for your filter to remove.

We needed one because some of the sand that ends up in our pool is too small for our sand filter/Zeolite sand to remove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.