Closing an above ground pool

Jun 4, 2014
Farragut, ia
Want to leave my 24 ft by 52 inch above ground pool up for the winter (too much work to take down and put back up) need advice as to how to best prepare it for the cold winter in Iowa. I know I have to lower the water level to take all of the plumbing/filters out but what do I need to do for the water before winter, do I need air pillows and what is the best way to keep debris out of the pool for fast start up in the spring? New user!

Thanks

Is there tree coverage? if you do cover, use one that is made for that pool so you can avoid animals or small kids trying to play around. Then just super chlorinate(liquid) and lower the ph before to make up for this.

1) You don't HAVE to lower the water level. That is an option. Or you can plug your suction and return and drain the lines. There are a variety of ways to plug the lines. Be aware though that if your pool freezes deep enough, the ice can pull out a return plug (been there, done that). I lower my water so that it is about an inch above the skimmer bottom.

2) I use an air pillow - for two reasons. To relive ice pressure, and it also makes pumping off my cover easier. I have found that if I keep my cover free of water during the fall, then any leaves blow off. Once winter snows come around, all of the leaves are off the cover. Then when the snow melts in the spring (or a mid-winter thaw), I pump the cover off again. Keeping up with it makes it a lot easier than ignoring it until it is time to open (kind of like taking care of your pool when it is open)

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.