FC 0 I could not get the water to turn pink
PH 8.0
acid demand 2 Drops
base demand 10 drops and no change
TA 100
CH 150
CYA dot would not disappear

and what is the wheel for I lined the everything up and got .4 for saturation

I want to start my salt system but don't want to mess anything up any suggestion what I should do
"dump a few gallons of chlorine and a bottle of muriatic acid in it?"

Need to put about 5.5lbs of stabilizer to get your cya up to 30 to start with and a little over 151 oz of 8.25% bleach to get your fc to 4 or one 121 oz bottle to get you just a little over 3ppm. Then the muriatic acid to get your pH down to below 7.8 Read all you can of Pool School. Having the testkit you have is a good thing--Makes the chemistry a whole lot easier. Get familiar with pool math to determine how much of what your pool needs.

I have no ideal what this really means

water temp 92 pool has run for 24 hours before taking sample
FC 0 I could not get the water to turn pink That's because you have none. If you added any already, the sun destroyed it.
PH 8.0 Needs to be lowered with Acid
acid demand 2 Drops Because it needs acid to lower pH
base demand 10 drops and no change It doesn't need base demand unless pH is too low. You will use acid demand or base demand, but not both. You don't actually need the acid and base demand tests, as poolmath will give you quantites.
TA 100 Good
CH 150 Good
CYA dot would not disappear You have none unless you added it. CYA doesn't occur naturally, so it won't be in your fill water, whether its from a well or a municipal water supply.

and what is the wheel for I lined the everything up and got .4 for saturation

I want to start my salt system but don't want to mess anything up any suggestion what I should do
"dump a few gallons of chlorine and a bottle of muriatic acid in it?"
First you adjust pH. Use poolmath to figure out quantities. Note I put the link to the how to use it in there. Read that before you start plugging in numbers and dumping stuff in your pool.

While the acid is mixing, measure out enough CYA to get to 60ish. You want it higher, but aim low for now. It's easy enough to add more later if you come up short. Put it in a sock or two - just an old athletic sock or nylon with no holes - and set it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return. Recommended Pool Chemicals explains how to add things.

If you already added salt, turn the SWG on. It may take a few days to bring the FC level up, so in the meantime, target 3 and add enough bleach to get there. How much depends on what strength you bought. Poolmath will tell you. When that CYA is about half dissolved, target 5 FC. It could be as soon as the next day. You will need to feed that pool every day, whether manually or via the SWG, so get used to testing daily. If you haven't added salt yet, hold off until you get some CYA dissolved and things are balanced. Then hold Diamond Day as explained in post 5

And don't forget to read the ABCs. It will explain what those numbers mean.

ok I put in
1) 5 lbs of stabilizer in 2 socks and placed on about a foot away from the return and the other across from it
2) about 128oz of 10% chlorine circulated for 2 hours
3) 1/3 of a gallon of muriatic acid 16oz diluted in a 5 gallon bucket every hour for 3 hours
4) ran all night until sun up

tested tonight after work and
FC 0
PH 7.0
base 2 drops to 7.4
TA 80
CH 150
CYA maybe 10, if the tube is filled to the very top it is 50% blurred
SI .7

I have read the pool school plus a ton of post and feel like I am getting to understand more and I know most of your feeling about tabs but with the FC at 0 and CYA so low should I put tabs in to move these numbers then add baking soda for the TA increase?

First, add liquid chlorine to get FC up to 4 (use poolmath to see the quantity). Wait an hour with the filter running, and test chlorine again. Add more if you need to. Keep doing this until you hit an FC of at least 4.

Since you already added CYA, I recommend you don't touch the tabs. The CYA you already added just needs a little more time to dissolve. Make sure those CYA socks are either right in front of where the water flows out of the return, or in the skimmer basket. Being in the flowing water dissolves the CYA more quickly. (Tabs will also lower the pH, and you don't want that right now, either.)

Leave the TA alone. It's the very last thing to worry with, and it's probably fine where it is, anyway. You don't need to touch the pH right now, either. With an SWG, it will likely creep back up on its own.

I would NOT use tabs. I have roughly the same size pool as you. I put in 9 lbs of stabilizer to get the CYA to 45. The CYA readings do not show up immediately; mine took several days to be accurate with PoolMath. My TA is the same as yours and I added a box of 20 Mule Team Borax to it yesterday to get the pH up to 7.6 from 7.2, which was my goal. I maintain my FC at about 7-8 as it has a solar cover on it and the pump runs 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off. To do that, I am adding 1/3 gal 8.25% bleach a day. To get yours up to to 7, you'll need just over 2 gals of 8.25% bleach (I use Great Value Concentrated from WM). Maintaining mine at that FC level works for me but you may prefer a different level. My pool has been sparkling clear since day one, thanks to these fine people and this website. :D

I have not put the salt in the pool or turned on the SWG yet I have been trying to balance the water first, after reading the school and other post I figured I needed to get the FC and CYA close before moving to the salt system?

Though I have put 20 pounds of the salt pellets in a 5 gallon bucket for 3 days and they have not dissolved much and I stir them once in the morning and twice at night

I always use pool salt. I know some say that you can use softener salt and it is the same thing but the pool salt is a lot easier. Dump in. Brush around. Done. Took a little too big of swing at the ph it looks like. No fear, the SWG will help bring it up. As far as your cya goes you are going to want to be closer to the 70 range or whatever your SWG recommends, most are 70-80. As one here would assume, error to the low side. And get some liquid chlorine in there as mentioned. You are close now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
last night
FC 1.4
PH 7.0
base 2 drops to 7.4
TA 70
CH 110
CYA 20
SI -.7
this morning
FC 1.2
PH 7.0
base 2 drops to 7.4
TA 80
CH 120
CYA 20
SI -.7

over the last 48 hours I have added 6 pounds of stabilizer and 8 gallons of chlorine "1 gallon at a time" and only running my pool after sunset the water is milky blue I was told By my neighbor I had a high phosphorus level how do I check for that ?

I can not seem to be able to get the FC to increase allowing me to perform the slam?? The calculator says I need to add 2 gallons to go from 1 to 10 and I have added 8 gallons in the last 48 hours my pool is not green though in sure I would have to have algae if It is consuming that much chlorine?? I have followed pool calculator and the above advice and read the pool school and use the K-2006 to do the testing what could be causing me the low FC and I'm sure the CYA will increase as the 6 pounds dissolve more thoroughly

You should use PoolMath and add the amount of bleach to reach your target. Then test and repeat in 30-60 minutes until it starts to hold. Dropping 10 gallons blindly is a good way to overshoot and damage your pool.

From experience, on you get the SWG operational if your cya gets below 70 you will have trouble keeping chlorine in the water when it is hot and sunny outside. For now, pool math, slam, get it clear.

Too late now, but if you are going to try to slam do you want to raise your cya #? Since it is a ratio? I am sure a chemistry expert will jump in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not to sure about the poolmath it said add 291oz of 10% bleach to increase the FC from 1 to 10. I have added 2 gallon at 730 pm and 2 gallons at 1030pm for the last 4 days with no change in The FC level I'm think the Chlorine is getting to me I'm dazed, confused and frustrated :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.