newbie w/ new ag pool & numbers

gadd

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
10,600 gal. ag 15X30, 1.5hp 2 speed pump, 22" sand filter
Hi and thanks for taking the time. My ag is being installed now as I type. Just wanted to make sure my plans are good for after it's filled. I'll be using BBB method. Here are my tap water numbers:

ph 8
fc .5
tc 3
ta 125
cya 0
(didn't think CH was important right now in vinyl pool - let me know if it is)

some questions:
1.Should I raise chlorine to shock level at first, or after I get the ph down (mur. acid)?
2.Should I immediately (and carefully) add cya, or wait to get chlorine and ph correct?
3.Lastly, do I run the pump on high 24/7 while getting numbers right?

Pool calculator says: add 209oz of 6%bleach (shock level w/no cya), add 18oz mur. acid, add 99oz cya
sound good?
I apologize if these have been answered already - I've read quite a bit here on TFP and couldn't find my exact situation - thanks so much for your help!

If you shock the pool, you won't be able to do the pH testing you might need while adjusting it. I'd go for 6 or 8ppm chlorine, add half the CYA you think you'll need, and start slowly lowering the pH with muriatic acid. As long as you get some chlorine in there, the water will stay clear. With no CYA you'll go through it more quickly, so shoot for a higher than normal level at first just to keep from having any issues. Wait a week after adding CYA to test for it. Run the filter 24/7 for a few days to get the CYA into the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.