Do I need chlorine if I am using EZ Pool with a DE filter?

Aug 17, 2014
joplin mo
New to site...I have an 27' above ground pool, was told and to and have used EZ Pool for 2 years. Ive never had a problem with clarity at all. I have only shocked a few times after heavy rains as a precaution. I have a DE filter, so was told when i put it in i don't need chlorine, other than the weekly maintenance of 1 tablet in the skimmer weekly to kill algae inside the filter. Do I need chlorine for any other reason other than to kill algae? The DE filter catches the algae and we really enjoy not having to maintain the chlorine level not to mention the skin/hair issues that come with the chlorine pools! EZ pool is really expensive but with busy schedules, it is almost maintenance free...Should I be using something different? Thanks for any help!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Without chlorine, you have no protection from person to person disease transmittal. That would be reason enough for me to reevaluate your maintenance methods.

A pool can be clear, like by using the copper which reduces likelihood of algae, but not safe.

This is a reason that what you are doing is not an approved method by the government.

Trichlor i believe... Going to call the "pool store" tomorrow! Ok, so I have what if i understand is right a cartridge filter, it has the pleats that we have to wash off every 2 -3 weeks. We use DE to coat it, it does a great job with the algae, haven't ever had a problem. Is this common method? When reading the 3 types of filters in pool school tab, it didn't really talk about coating the cartridge filters with anything? Thanks!

Filters don't stop algae. They should filter out the dead algae and the chlorine kills it. I think you main problem is you are listening to a pool store that has a vested interest in making money off of you.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The problem with your pool is that it looks like clean water when all you have been doing is controlling algae. The water looks clear but it's not clean and it's not sanitary without some form of sanitizer. Without that sanitizer it could be full of bacteria, organic matter and harmful microorganisms.
People following the method here of using the proper amount of chlorine (bleach) to kill algae, prevent it and to sanitize their water don't have skin or hair problems from the chlorine.

You shock after heavy rains as a precaution from what ??

Can you please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

When there is no algae in your pool you don't have to worry about filtering it out. You currently manage to keep one step ahead of algae if I am understanding you correctly. Do you ever have visible algae in your pool?

There are DE filters that use a cartridge instead of grids or fingers as a structure for the DE to cling to, however they are specifically labeled as DE filters. Straight cartridge filters are not designed to be used with DE and you may damage the cartridge by using DE with them. You should clean the filter when there is a 20-25% increase from the freshly cleaned filter pressure.

The trichlor you have been using is chlorine stabilized with cyuranic acid (CYA). CYA will build up over time and can only be eliminated from your pool by partially draining and refilling the pool.

images.jpgZea3, it was sold to me as a DE filter, only doubted it after reading description on here. I only found posts about the larger DE filters and it made me wonder! This does has pleats, I assume it is a de cartridge filter. I haven't ever had a problem with algae. I change out the DE when the dp goes up around 10%, which is usually about 3 weeks as an average. which kind of chlorine filter should i use then to avoid increasing CYA?
I believe this is very similar to my pump/filter.

Pentair Sta-Rite SRPLD050OE1260 PLD-Series Aboveground Modular D.E. Filter System with 1 HP OptiFlo Pump

With a little research the name for DE filters w/cartridges instead of grids or fingers is modules. So you have a modular DE filter. If you post a picture of your filter, preferably with the label we can confirm if this is true.
Liquid chlorine is best. It will not add CYA or calcium to the water, only leaves a very small amount of salt. You can either use 12-10% chlorinating liquid from a pool store or plain, unscented, liquid bleach from the grocery store. Plain liquid bleach is 8% chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.