Borate testing

Jun 19, 2014
Edmond, Oklahoma
I added 28# of Boric acid to my pool yesterday. Per pool math, 50 ppm should be 29# and change (477 ounces). Since I've noticed that using pool math with my estimated volume always causes me to overshoot just a touch, I decided to hold back the extra pound and let everything mix up and test this morning.

I have the Lamotte strips (bone dry, broke the seal on them this morning)

I tested a glass of tap water to make sure I could read the color correctly. The color for 0 borates was dead on in tap water and easy to read.

When I got to the pool water, it was a different story. I'm having a hard time distinguishing between the 30 ppm and 50 ppm shade. It looks similar to the 50 ppm shade, but the whole pad is lighter overall. Hard to describe.

I can run another test later and post pics to see if anyone with better eyes than me can tell me whether they can read it.

Failing that:

1. Does anybody using borates and these strips have tips and tricks for getting a good read? (i.e., leave it in the water for a longer/shorter time; read in sunlight/shade/room light, etc)

2. Is there a good resource for a drop test? I have found a couple of threads here. All of them point back to Piscines Apollo, who appears to no longer be selling the drop test. To date, I have found drop tests to be much easier to read and more consistent than strip tests. I would be willing to spend a few extra dollars to get a good drop test.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did the math again and it looks like 477 ounces is 29.81 pounds (or roughly 29 pounds, 13 ounces). This would mean I held back 1 pound, 13 ounces from Pool Math's recommendation. Is it worth tossing another 2# in today and testing again? Or at shades separated by 20 ppm or so, is the precision too broad for me to think holding back roughly 6% of the suggested amount would make a difference?

If you always overshoot, sounds like you should be lowering the volume of the pool you enter.

From what i read, the borates tests is hard to distinguish as you are seeing.

Thanks Jason. I am thinking about re-measuring my pool. I have the "clipped" Grecian corners and I entered my measurements based on what the pool builder told me was the shallowest and deepest depths. I have a short, shallow end, then about 1/3 of the center part of the pool is a slope toward the deep end. I was just averaging what he told me was the depth of the shallow and deep ends. I think I may get in with a tape measure and get a depth at shallow, deep and at least one measurement in the center of the slope, then use those numbers for my average depth.

When I overshoot, it's not by a great deal. When I have added MA, I may get a larger ppm drop in TA vs. what pool math tells me. But the overshot is not huge.

For the precision of borate testing, is it that vital? I appear to be in the 50 ppm range. But if I add a little more acid and overshoot a bit, is that a problem? From what I've read here, it's more of a problem to be short of 50 ppm, especially where algae prevention is concerned.

For reading the test, it's the hue that is important more than the saturation. The test goes from a Magenta color at 0 towards a pale orange at 80, but 50 ppm still has a tinge of magenta in it while 30 ppm has a more clear magenta tinge. You are most likely where you expected to be based on the amount of chemical you added.

While it doesn't matter much right now, it would be good to learn to read the test with a known borate level, because in a year or so, you're going to want to know how much to add to get back to this level. Maybe you could mix up a 30 ppm reference solution to compare too?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.