Help with filter size.......

G'Day All,
I need help with sizing a sand filter. Money is an issue, so I would like to get the smallest filter (price) and yet provide adequate filtering for the pool. I have a good pump, but don't know the flow. The pool store says they need to know the flow before they can recommend a filter. It is a 1HP pump made by Hercules, w/ 1.5" in/out. It has no flow markings at all. I don't want to undersize the filter flow and burn out the pump. The only info on the pump is the motor info itself, which is a Century motor. Your assistance is appreciated.

TJ.

FWIW, my 1 HP pump delivers about 30 GPM, but that's with the sand filter(100#) and solar on, so it was lifting the water 12 feet up.

I think any filter with a max. flow rate of 50 GPM or more will work. Generally, you can't have too big a filter. I would shoot for something in the 100 - 300 lb. range. Then again it seems that a lot of sand filters are now rated in Inches(which I have no clue about).

HTH,
Adam

Thanks, Adam & John.

I see what you mean about the price, although many of the places I've found show much more than $50 between them --- some as much as $150. That is why I was concerned.

It is confusing to me, though, how they (Hayward) can put a 1.5 hp motor on an 18" filter. Seems the flow would be restricted????

Oh, Well.

Thanks for the input. The PS, I think, just wanted to sell me a whole setup, not just the filter. Go figure!! :roll:

TJ.

The 1.5 hp would be too much pump for the sand filter size you are looking at purchasing. Not to mention the fact your electricity usage would increase with no real benefit in filtration. I used to have a 16" Hayward sand filter with a 1hp pump on a 18' ag and it was more than adequate. I've recently switched to a Hayward cartidge filter. I would go with the larger filter as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.