TSP - Filter Cleaner or Algae Contributor?

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
So I finally purchased TSP and gave my oldest filter a soak for 24 hours. While it was soaking, I started getting cold feet about using TSP due to the dreaded algae stimulant "phosphates."

I poked around on a few of the post related to TSP but really didn't see a conclusive response. My pool is three years old and this is the first time I've used TSP on a cartridge filter. Our pool is caged and has a small bather load. Sunscreens and the like have not been a major issue, nor has algae. I use the BBB method and maintain my FC at +/- 5.0 with my PH around 7.5 or 7.6, Borate level around 50ppm and CYA at 70. I know I was over the top on my filter cleaning. I brush and vacuum the pool weekly. Every two weeks, I'd remove and wash the filter, rotate it and re-install it. I didn't focus on doing so because of increased pressure, I simply wanted to ensure it remained as clean as possible. After 8 weeks, I'd remove one filter and replace with a secondary filter I kept on hand and repeat the process. I'd use plain water & water pressure as prescribed on this site to clean the filter. Remember the pool is caged so I don't have to worry about a lot of external debris entering the water. The water remains sparkling clear.

Now I'm worried by introducing some level of phosphates into the water that I may increase my risk for an algae bloom versus the cleanliness aspect of using the TSP to remove oils and other debris in the filter. Would appreciate some of you experts weighing in on my concerns with TSP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.