AutoPilot Pool Pilot Questions

Aug 6, 2008
Niceville, FL
Wow - there's a wealth of information here. Thanks for putting this site up - it answered most of my questions, but I still have a couple.

I have an 11,000 gal in ground pool with an AutoPilot Pool Pilot SoftTouch SWG with an SC-36 cell. The pool is gunite and about 4 years old.

I know the chemistry is completely whacked - I'm going to work on getting the water balanced and try to train my family to do some basic tests and maintenance while I'm not at home so it doesn't go out of range again. The reason I got into this mess was that I didn't know about the importance of stabilizer (perhaps I forgot, but I don't recall being briefed on it by the pool builder). After 4 years of tropical storms, backwashing the filter and kids, my CYA reading is non-existent (I do my own testing). Fortunately, I know what I need to do now, to get the chemistry corrected (thanks to this site).

As I said, I have an SC-36 cell. I had to replace it once (after 2 years) and I'm going to have to replace it again - cleaning it (I had significant white buildup on the plates) repeatedly has rendered the plates almost wafer-thin. When I do replace it (after balancing the chemistry), can I replace it with an SC-48, or is that overkill? Will the SoftTouch unit support an SC-48 and are there any jumper settings that I have to change when I change the cell?

Also, I've read a lot about the Pool Pilot Digital units and they sound like the cat's pajamas. Is it possible to simply swap the SoftTouch unit with a Digital unit, or are there changes that have to be made in the wiring, setup, etc.?

Again - thanks for this site!

When I do replace it (after balancing the chemistry), can I replace it with an SC-48, or is that overkill?

Yes, you can always safely up size your cell with an AutoPilot systems. There are ways (i.e. "Cell Power Settings") that you can adjust to curb the production levels of higher producing cells. You will of course see better performance and a longer cell life with a larger cell.

Will the SoftTouch unit support an SC-48 and are there any jumper settings that I have to change when I change the cell?

Yes, the SoftTouch will support the SC-48 cell. There are no jumper settings that need to be changed. You will just need to change the setting on the system itself and "let the system know" it is now running a different size cell.

Also, I've read a lot about the Pool Pilot Digital units and they sound like the cat's pajamas. Is it possible to simply swap the SoftTouch unit with a Digital unit, or are there changes that have to be made in the wiring, setup, etc.?

This is also possible. All of your plumbing will stay the same. You would be able to use the same cell and tri-sensor cords also. However the DIG-220 power supply will include new cords. So you'll just have some spares. Other than that you'll just need to disconnect the power going to your SoftTouch and wire in the DIG-220.

Yes, the SoftTouch will support the SC-48 cell. There are no jumper settings that need to be changed. You will just need to change the setting on the system itself and "let the system know" it is now running a different size cell.

How do I "let the system know"? I haven't seen anything in my manual about what needs to be done...

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.