New BBQ island build (so long BBQ Galore Island)

Jun 26, 2008
We bought a grill island and DCS drop in grill from our local BBQ Galore (now out of business) in January 1999.
BBQG delivered, set up/hooked up and off we went.

Fast forward 9 1/2 years.

Here is how it sat up until July 2008

before2.jpg

The electric in this photo is being re-routed for the pool build so pardon the bad shot.

IMG_1749.jpg

We are currently putting in a pool with an arbor to go over the island. The grill runs on its own dedicated natural gas line.

Due to easement restrictions for the rough red cedar arbor, the island had to move a bit as to center it under the arbor. The longest line of the island also does not run parallel to the house and since the arbor will run parallel with the roofline, we thought the grill should too.

In moving the island, we discovered the ¼ fiberboard that was used had totally deteriorated and fell from the metal studs. Hardibacker was not used by BBQG for building islands. The metal stud base was also extremely rusted out in places.

9-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

So, after consideration to repair or replace, we opted to replace the island with a new one. Not only were the studs rotted out on the base as well as some vertical ones, the fiber/cement board that was used was pulling away and cracking the stucco finish. Several of the sides would need replacing. It just got too complicated to try to fix and then match the finishes, etc.
We turned it upside down to use as a template, as the new design was not going to change much.

The new one is an L shape. Each leg is 82 L” It is 25 ½” wide with an 11” overhang in the front.. Our arbor is 12 x 12 (length of rafters) and the 6 inch posts sit inside this dimension, so the island needed to comfortably sit inside this space.

A word of advice. If you entertain at all, do not skimp on counter space. Enough cannot be said. Think about room for uncooked food and cooked food/serving space.
Consider having 2 plate/platters at your side and room for both. One with the uncooked and one for the food as you take it off the grill. Throw in your tongs, fork, spatula, etc. Something to think about.

We are using 25 gauge 2 ½” metal studs we bought at Home Depot and ½ inch Hardiebacker for the bottom, sides and top.

The short end facing the pool, the front face with overhand, and the backside will all be cultured stone. We are using Tejas Stone Ledge Stone in Chardonnay. The offside small end, and the interior where the doors are and the front of the grill will be textured (stucco?) Per the cultured stone guy, we can apply the stone directly to the hardibacker (no lath or feltpaper) for this kind of project but do need to use a bonding agent in addition when installing.

The top will be Noce (light chocolate milk color) tumbled marble with a Texas Longhorn mosaic accent (limestone colored marble with Noce longhorn cutout) in 3 places centered on the Front leg of the L. This photo is an example but with the state of Texas.

IMG_2103.jpg

Our old BBQG island we also used the tumbled marble that was left over from our backsplash in the kitchen. At first we sealed it but time got away from us and it went unsealed for years with no issues. We power washed it about once a year. It did bleach in the sun but the marble held up better than the rest of the island!

Here we are getting started.

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

More framing

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

In place under the arbor and siding going up.

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

All siding is complete now except for the top. We will measure and cut the top after the cultured stone is installed. The cultured rock is ordered and will not be in to work on this weekend :( Tumbled marble is ordered and will be picked up Friday.

Thanks to Dr. Dave, and others helpful on this site, we will be installing out Trex feet today. We learned our lesson about having our island sit directly on the patio. A HUGE romper room No-No.

Speaking of Trex: At Lowes, Trex also makes post end caps that are square. They are tempting to buy, as they are already cut. However, they have a lip to fit over a post and could trap water in them as well as I do not know how sturdy the lip would be over time. All in all, they are more expensive to buy individually than to just buy a plank of Trex. Also at Lowes, there are composite fencing planks. These are barely 3/8” thick. You could make feet out of these but I do not feel they are sufficiently thick enough for the absolute protection of the bottom studs/hardiebacker.JMHO

Each step has been exciting, especially as the pool build also is underway. Never a dull moment!

We are expecting rain today (boy I hope so) so I will attach more pics as we move further ahead. Stalled for a moment while we wait on the cultured stone.

While finishing up the pool and lying grass, the grill island was at a stand still. We were also waiting for it to arrive in and then find a weekend where we could work on it.

Trex decking is the only way to go. We cut ours in 5-6 inch lengths to use as feet. We wanted water and debris to be able to pass under the island.

Here are some pix of what we have done so far. Per the seller who developed our product, a bonder is recommended. You can purchase the bonding agent separately or, as we purchased, a mortar specifically made for cultured stone with a bonding agent additive in the mortar.

While the job was not difficult, it is more time consuming than we thought. We worked two full days and are halfway done.

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

This side will also be cultured stone. The cutout is where the refrigerator goes.

IMG_2249.jpg

The first day, We both worked on the front and it was slow going. The second day, Dave worked on the front and I did the end cap and corners.

IMG_2250.jpg

Front and one end cap done!

IMG_2251.jpg

The other end cap will also be cultured stone. The interior where all the cutouts are will be stucco with a painted finish.
IMG_2290.jpg

You have heard of Bat Man, Superman, and Spiderman. This is Safety Man!

IMG_2247.jpg

After all the stonework is finished, we will have to cut the top hardie board for the top and install it. The top is a tumbled marble, like our old island but in a darker shade, called Noce (Nochay). It will have 3 inserts in the middle of the serving area that are cream tumbles marble with the longhorn cutout (rather than the state of TX) in Noce. Like the photo above.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The other side and end is 85% done. Then there is the top to go, set the grill in and we are ready to get cooking.

We had to go buy more mortar for the side and other end. We went to a different Lowes. The second store did not carry the mortar (made by Sakcrete) that is formulated for stone veneer with the bonder built in. We bought regualr type S mortar made by Sakcrete as they make the liquid bonder as well.

To install, it proved just as easy to install as the built in bonder mortar, just had the extra step of painting the hardieboard and back of the veneer with bonder.

We worked one piece of veneer at a time. I am sure there is a faster way, but never having used the stuff before, we wanted to make sure we got a good bond and a good fit between pieces.

We applied mortar with a thin notched trowl onto the hardie board and then buttered it very well on the veneer. Once in place, excess mortar should squeeze out from the edges. Hold it in place at least one minute to get a good bond. We found that the mortar works easier when on the thinner side. Just enough that you get a good ooze out the sides but still workable with the finger tips.

We mixed the mortar in a wheel barrow in small portions. It was helpful to have a spray bottle. We used the spray bottle to help re-wet our mortar and to spray down the stones gently to remove most mortar from the surface. A toothbrush also helps here. A coffee can with water and a small paint brush helps to smooth the mortar between stones. It is supposed to look like stacked stone, so you don't want the mortar peeking out from underneath,

For cleaning (once mortar is dry) , per the Mfg., the harshest acid to use is vinegar. The veneer is meerly colored on the outside and you can remove the color using muriatic/hydrochloric acid. A wire brush will also streak it, as the bristles can remove the color, showing the whiteness of the concrete underneath. We used acid and steel pads from the store to clean off mortar and residue.

The veneer cuts easily with a masonary blade. We did have to make several cuts on strait pieces as well as notch out several pieces to accomodate where the vents are along the bottom. Do wear goggles, ear protection, and mouth/breathing protection. Veneer does contain silica. And pieces of concrete do fly and chip off. While not as dusty as hardieboard, it is still pretty dusty.

A sealer or sealer/enhancer is highly recommended. We will use the sealer/enhancer when done.

For large projects, and projects where you are not adhering to concrete, felt and lath is recommended. However, for application directly to hardiboard, you can forgo the felt and lath and apply direct to hardieboard.

I hope that helps anyone thinking of using a (this) veneer. We have really enjoyed learning how to install it purselves. Pavestone makes our product (Tejas Texured Stone) and it comes in many colors and sizes. We chose Chardonnay. Ours is ledgestone, but most of the colors also come in a plethora of types of stone. www.tejasstone.com

Looks great! I wish I had the patience to do the stone work.

What do you plan to do for the stucco sides? I'm looking for some tips on what products to use and how to apply. What do you plan to do?

Thanks!

Well, many months later and we finally got the marble tile on top and the grill hooked back up. Here are finished photos.

For the stucco, I mixed type S mortar with some bonder and left it pretty thin. I took a 4 inch stiff paint brush and stippled it on. Once dry, I took a bit of sand paper and sanded off the points made by the brush, so it looks like the splatter and drag wall texture but a bit more substantial. Once dry, painted it with an everlasting outdoor paint. I think it too pink/red for the tile. Looks ok at dark but is off putting in daytime.

IMG_2839.jpg

looking at back of grill & fridge

IMG_2841.jpg

Texas Longhorn Marble tile insert

IMG_2837.jpg

Too pink/red paint on stucco

Fine job. If you don't like the color, you can always paint it another color. When I stuccoed mine, I used tint in my stucco to match my house. It still looks pretty good after 10 years.

I was wondering about that opening when you were doing the brick, I see now it is for the refrigerator. Keeps folks on the other side, out of the way.

I hope you have vents, both upper and lower somewhere. Is this propane?

I bet you are happy to be done. Looks great, you will enjoy this summer on the Q.

Thanks Dr. Dave. We are finally getting to enjoy grilling once again.

The grill is a natural gas grill.

When we built our home, our builder put a stub on the side of the house. Before putting in the pavestone patio, we had the gas line run to where the grill island is (for the old BBQG grill was). We built this island to fit the existing line. We did have a master plumber come and reinstall the grill. Blew the line and replaced a valve.

There are vents. It sits up on Trex feet. The grill is in it own compartment, as we walled it off with 1/2 hardiebacker. There is a vent on the far end by the grill, one underneath on the floor of the compartment and one uner the bottom grill lip. We cut the hole too deep and there is a gap once the grill was set in so we added more screen and made it a vent.

Where the fridge sits, the long front part is one compartment. The fridge just slides in and out. It has a gap all around it. There is a built in vent on the other end.

The paint swatch looked ok on paper. It coordinated with the colors in the faux stone and pavers. That was before we put the tile on. I didn't love it then but it was ok. Now, with the tile, I think it aweful. back to to the paint store for more samples.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Greg. I can't take credit for the longhorn tiles. At a tile store here (Roma Tile) they carried some work by some guy in Fort Worth who would cut out shapes and contrasting tiles. He had longhorns, the 5 pointed star of Texas and the shape of Texas. Being UT grads, we went for the Horns.

The 4) cut 4 x 4 tiles and cutout came pasted to mesh so it was easy to install.

I have really enjoyed having the grill back. I am a big griller and went July-Jan indoor cooking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.