New Pump Help

May 18, 2011
After just receiving my latest energy bill, I finally decided it is time to look at changing my one speed pool pump to something more efficient. I have read more websites posts than I care to count and need a little help in making an intelligent decision.
Current SetUp
I currently have a Hayward Super II pump, 3/4hp, 22,000 gal in ground pool with a suction cleaner (Baracuda) and SWG. I have Solar panels mounted on the roof of the house which is 10' above the pool. I currently have to close some of the valves for the solar system because there is too much pressure going to the roof. (past experience of panels bursting) Currently have the pressure reduced to 5psi at the panels. I have a DE filter, no spa or waterfall features.
Current electric rates are $.13 to $.35kWH (average $.25kWh)
With all that said I am looking at either Pentair or Hayward. I also briefly looked at the EcoPump, but read enough here to not go with them. Do I go with a VS or 2 Speed? If I don't need the extra Hp is it worth going to a VS? Not really sure which way to proceed.
Thanks in advance for anyone's guidance.

With your power cost, a VS might make sense in the high tier. I think one of the newer smaller VS pumps (Maxflo VS or Superflo VS) might work well for you since you do not need the power of the bigger VS pumps.

One concern though ... is your solar automated? Will it ever be? These small VS pumps do not integrate well into any automation, while a simple 2-speed pump can be. In my case, the automation can switch to high speed when solar is needed and stays on low when it is not.

With your power cost, a VS might make sense in the high tier. I think one of the newer smaller VS pumps (Maxflo VS or Superflo VS) might work well for you since you do not need the power of the bigger VS pumps.

One concern though ... is your solar automated? Will it ever be? These small VS pumps do not integrate well into any automation, while a simple 2-speed pump can be. In my case, the automation can switch to high speed when solar is needed and stays on low when it is not.

Yes, my solar is controlled by a Compool (LX-220) box. As stated in my initial post, I have had the problem of too much pressure to my solar collectors. Would a small VS integrate with the Compool controller?

No, in the sense that the solar control will not change speeds.
Ok, now I am back to being confused as to whether a 2 speed pump or a VS is better? If my solar is getting too much pressure with even my current single speed 3/4hp pump, all the 2-speeds I am seeing are rated at 1.5hp. It appears that I need to go to a VS just to get my hp down and thus my psi at the solar panels. I am leaning towards the Pentair Superflo (342000). Is that a decent choice??

Do you have a solar valve on your system? Why not just bypass some of the water around the solar system?

Exactly what bursted on the panels? It might be an installation issue.

Another option would be to just downsize the pump impeller. You usually do that for less than $50. It might be a better choice if you don't think you would be running on lower speeds much although a VS is nice for fine tuning the flow rate.

Yes there is a solar valve on the system and I open a bypass valve to alleviate pressure directly to the panels. I replaced the panels 2 years ago because of failure at teh seams that were attributed to too much pressure. The new panels are working fine and I just have to make sure that the pressure stays in a low range. I think that the VS pump will offer the most flexibility. I think the Pentair Superflo (342000) will be my choice. Hopefully I am not missing something in the equation.
Thanks for your input

Do you have a solar valve on your system? Why not just bypass some of the water around the solar system?

Exactly what bursted on the panels? It might be an installation issue.

Another option would be to just downsize the pump impeller. You usually do that for less than $50. It might be a better choice if you don't think you would be running on lower speeds much although a VS is nice for fine tuning the flow rate.

The Superflo VS programming is a little different. You can set 3 speeds, one is only available for manual selection. It will start on a high speed and after a set period of time will drop to the 2nd speed for a set period of time.

For solar heating, you want the highest flow rate possible, so you do not want the speed changing.

If your solar controller turns on the solar in the middle of the day, but the pump is already at a lower speed, the solar panels may not prime at all. I am just not convinced that things are going to work as well together as you might hope.

I suppose if you dial in the set speeds to always be high enough to run the solar when the controller turns it on, it would work. But you would not be able to take advantage of the power savings by running on lower speeds when the solar was not needed.

I see your point and I am very glad you mentioned it. I feel that I am back to square one in making a decision. On one hand I need the higher speed to run my solar which is on most of my pump cycle, but I would love to save some $$ on my electrical bill. Is there a good single speed 3/4 hp pump that is more energy efficient than the Hayward Super II pump I am currently using? If not I will stick with my current configuration.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but ...............

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only way to take the most advantage of a 2-speed (or VS speed) pump is to have a solar controller that can switch the speeds. I am not sure if your will or if there are options available to add to make it switch speeds.

The less ideal method (which I did last year) is to just leave the pump on high speed when ever you might need solar heating (like spring - fall) and then turn the solar controller off and only run the pump on low in the fall - spring when solar would not help enough to warrant running it. So, you could save money in the winter, but not in the summer.

My 2 cents,

I have a pentair intelliflo VF (variable flow) as well as automated solar system via the pentair easytouch 8p. I can set the flow rate, for example at 40 gallons per minute, and the pump will adjust speed to maintain the flow even when the Solaris are activated. I have never experienced any pressure or prime issues. Granted, the VF pumps are expensive upfront but my system runs flawlessly and I'm saving money on my electricity bill every month.

Bill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.