CYA is 100 FC should be 7 ???

Someone will chime in and post a link for you with a chart but 7 does not sound too far off. And 100ppm of CYA is about 30 ppm over ideal for a SWG pool and about 50 ppm over ideal for a non SWG pool. If you do a drain/refill to get your cya to 50 you can half your FC number.

Yes JB. I'm using tablets. Only started in April with brand new pool. I'm still learning guys. I did read the topics above. The CYA would explain why I just had a blow up of Algae. Water has been crystal clear since April, until yesterday that is. SLAMMING pool now. Oh, also I have been using Calcium Hypochlorite Shock once a week. Thanks guys.

How did you measure your CYA value?

Most CYA tests top out at 100ppm and pool stores are notoriously bad at both measuring and reporting CYA. For example, my local pool store often would tell me my CYA was 99 and it was "OK". Actual value was over 150ppm and it certainly was NOT ok.

If your CYA is over 100ppm, doing a SLAM is going to be difficult and expensive considering the amount of bleach you'll need to add to get to a shock level of FC. Chlorine consumption and dissipation also increases with increasing concentration of FC, so maintaining that shock level will require a lot of bleach as well.

Can you post a full set of water chemistry values from a K-2006 or TF-100 test kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to Sunny's post, perhaps try and dilute the water for the CYA test. A 1:1 dilution (pool water/distilled water) should allow you to get a reading of less than 100. Once you have that reading, just multiply by 2 to get the actual CYA.

Oh, also I have been using Calcium Hypochlorite Shock once a week.
Your calcium levels may be getting high as well. All sold forms of chlorine add byproducts the will build up to unacceptable levels if used exclusively. Start reading pool school and expect to be using liquid chlorine/bleach in the future or add a salt water generator. If your CYA is 100, you can keep the algae at bay by properly chlorinating. It will require a good test kit (to test high levels accurately) and some practice. My pools was about 120 when I started. It's a lot easier now that I'm down to 90. If you water is cheap enough, I'd replace it instead of dealing with high CYA. My part of the country is currently in an extreme drought. I also keep my pool open all year. I assume in NY, you'll be closing your pool before too long. So maybe you can just live with it until then. Still, you need to know how much over 100 you are. When we see 100 here we generally assume the test hit it's max and the actually value is higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.