Advice on a size filter...

Aug 15, 2014
Dalton, Ga
We are building a new pool, about 17,000-20,000 gallons (not sure on the exact size but will be between those numbers) with a vinyl liner. The pump we will be using a 1.5 HP Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed and we are wondering what size, brand etc. filter to get? We'd like to use a cartridge filter and I'll be doing the BBB method of pool maintenance as I'm a chemist and think I can handle it. Thanks for any input!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

For cartridge filters, the bigger the better. For a pool that size, I would suggest 250-300 sqft or bigger if you want to clean the filter less often.
Any of the major brands are similar. You may get a longer warranty if you buy more than 3 pieces of equipment from the same manufacturer at the same time.

My personal preference is for a cartridge filter. Better than a sand filter, but not as good as a DE filter. No backwashing necessary for a cartridge filter. As for size, get the biggest you can afford. Less frequent filter cleaning is the reason for this recommendation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the quick responses! That's why I enjoy this website! As to size, we were thinking the 200-300 ft range. It is my understanding that if we went bigger that the lower setting we'd be running the pump on most of the time wouldn't be enough to utilize the filter correctly. Am I mistaken with that thought?

There is no minimum flow rate through a cartridge filter. So you can use a HUGE cartridge filter with your pump running on low with no problem. The bigger filter should actually filter a little better because the flow rate through each sqft of filter would be less.

The minimum filter sizes I provided should be big enough for year round operation if you have low debris loads. Big is always better. Many members only clean the cartridge once a year if it is sufficiently large and proper chemistry is maintained.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.