Might as well close the pool!

PAGirl

TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2012
Central PA
The water temperature is 65 degrees, (thanks to a ow of 46 last night, similar tonight, too.) with no temps forecasted above 80 for at least a week here in west-central PA. Looks like there won't be much swimming around here.:( I will just run the pump, add a little bleach, and call it a year until I can cover it for the winter. :(

I know, hence the adding a little bleach and running the pump a little bit. I am just a bit disgusted that it is mid-August and the water is below 70 degrees. It would take a week of 80+ temps to get it warm enough to enjoy. With lows in the 40's, it takes too long for the heat loss to recover. Keeping the pool covered isn't doing any good. Same thing happened last year. For some reason August isn't as hot as it used to be....,

I know, hence the adding a little bleach and running the pump a little bit. I am just a bit disgusted that it is mid-August and the water is below 70 degrees. It would take a week of 80+ temps to get it warm enough to enjoy. With lows in the 40's, it takes too long for the heat loss to recover. Keeping the pool covered isn't doing any good. Same thing happened last year. For some reason August isn't as hot as it used to be....,

Do you have little ones who want to swim? It's funny because the first week I had ours open in May, my kids were willing to brave just about anything to get in. Now that I have not one but two separate heat sources, they won't even stick a toe in unless it's above 82º!

PAGirl. I know what you mean. Being in central PA also I just get pi$$ed :mad: watching the weather report. I am still under construction, mostly just the deck now but it has been swimmable with a ladder over the side since mid July. I can probably count how many times on one had we have been in it. It's like the year I bought a snow blower, it snowed twice.

I haven't removed the cover in over a week. Been just dropping in about two cups a day, and walking away. I will say the water hasn't gone below 80 since I filled it up. When I did my bleach dump, it said 81. I didn't think I would need a heater with the clear solar cover, when it was warm it hit 91 in a couple days. Now I am thinking I might look into it for next year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have little ones who want to swim? It's funny because the first week I had ours open in May, my kids were willing to brave just about anything to get in. Now that I have not one but two separate heat sources, they won't even stick a toe in unless it's above 82º!
Pre hot tub, the girls would swim in any temp. Post hot tub, they won't get in unless it's at least 82. At 82 they swim for maybe five minutes. My how a little warm water can change people. Lol

I'm in Michigan, PAgirl, and know what you mean about feeling a little robbed.
I said to H last night I'd like at least one NIGHT hot enough to enjoy a moonlight swim with the torches aglow.

We DO have a heater, and have been heating it, and I still swim most mornings after working out, even though the air temps are cold. As expensive as it is to heat, I will suggest that you might get more enjoyment from your pool if you consider heating it. You just have to kind of decide if its worth it to you. Eg. Our gas BILs are roughly equal to a cold winter month with Therese kinds of temps, but I guess I feel the enjoyment, however fleeting, of that early morning swim is worth it.

I don't know about PA, but next week there's supposed to be some warming going on here :)

I'm in western Pa. and we have been in the same boat with rotten weather and little swimming. Several nights have gotten down into the 40's. I do have a heater, but I hate to run it for hours to warm the water up and by the time the water is warm the sun is gone and more than likely raining. My crew won't get unless it is a nice sunny day and water around 86. Maybe next year will be better!

It has been a very cold August and I've only been in the pool twice this month because the very cold nights. Each time I swam this month, I had to turn on the heater because my pool was in the upper 70s, brrr!

I am really bummed because I spent a fortune removing trees in July to get more sunlight, but these cold nights and cool days have been a bummer.

I think I'll put my safety cover on my pool soon to keep the leaves out and wait a few weeks longer before I close the pool.

In central Illinois it has been cold and overcast as well. Definitely not a good pool summer. I usually heat at beginning of year and turn off heater and have to install fountain by July 4th to cool off. Not this year. My rule of close when the kids go back to school may happen this weekend if the weather does not warm up like it is supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.