Help- need to buy a new pump today

clk320

Aug 15, 2014
CT
We own a vacation property on a Caribbean island and just got a call from the property manager that the pool pump was stolen. Need to buy a new pump today so that it can make the boat next Friday.

We have owned the property for only a few months and know nothing about pools. Unfortunately, have to make the following decisions immediately:

1) Shall we switch to saltwater? The pool is in use 12 months a year and shipping chemicals to the island is very expensive.
2) Shall we buy a variable speed pump? The pool is under 20,000 gallons, in ground, but the pool house is above ground. The pump that was stolen was 2 HP, single speed. Electricity on the island is roughly $0.3/KWh
3) Recommend a pump. Would like to keep it under $700 if possible.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

No spa or water feature? No automation?

I would suggest one of the smaller VS pumps like the maxflo. That power is expensive so the VS should save a good bit. But likely no need for the larger pumps.

SWG is certainly one option for simplifying maintenance, but completely independent of the new pump.

No spa or water feature? No automation?

I would suggest one of the smaller VS pumps like the maxflo. That power is expensive so the VS should save a good bit. But likely no need for the larger pumps.

SWG is certainly one option for simplifying maintenance, but completely independent of the new pump.

Great questions! Yes, there is a small water feature, about 3 ft above the pool. The property manager claims we need the 2 HP pump to compensate for the pool house being above the pool (ground level, really, so the pump is a foot or two at the most above the pool).

One thing is not clear to me- do I need to buy a special pump for saltwater (my current assumption) or any of the VSP can handle saltwater?

Thanks!

How about using someone local as they may also have an idea on how to best secure the new pump, otherwise you may become the spare parts store for your neighbors. IntelliFlo VS can be purchased online for under 800 where the options are VS, VS`SVRS and VF in order of least expensive to most expensive and most features.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.